As by the name, this Yam Tawa Fry Recipe is roasted in a tawa instead of roasting in regular pans. If you have cast iron dosa tawa in hand, then use that which lends an unique aroma and more crispiness for this Senaikizhangu Roast. Some of you will be hesitant to try yam recipes because of the itching property of the veggie, but don’t worry I have shared some points in the tips section to avoid the itchiness, just read it till the end. Now coming to the recipe, it’s simple as always with minimal ingredients. It pairs well with curd rice, all types of Sambar and Dal rasam…
1. Don’t use fresh yam, as it has more itching property.
2. When slicing yam, grease your hands with oil or lemon juice. This method helps to avoid itching.
3. Always keep the sliced yam in water until use to avoid de-colouration.
4. Addition of tamarind when boiling the veggie, helps to reduce itchiness.
5. Tamarind juice can be replaced with 1/2 tsp of tamarind paste.
6. Don’t overcook the veggie and make it mushy, it should be half cooked only.
7. Yam can be pressure cooked for 1 whistle with very little water + tamarind extract.
8. Also drain the water completely before adding the spice powders, else the masala wont get coated well.
9. After adding the spice powders, keep aside for atleast 10 minutes. So the veggie absorbs the masala.
10. Fennel seeds powder can be replaced with jeera powder also for this senaikizhangu roast.
11. Addition of besan flour lends more crispiness to this yam tawa fry recipe.
12. It can be roasted in a wide pan also, but roasting in tawa gives unique flavour.
13. If preferred 2 pods of crushed garlic can be added along with curry leaves at last.