Rasam powder recipe / homemade rasam powder / Podi helps to prepare rasam instantly by adding few teaspoons of this powder to the tamarind - tomato base.
Heat a heavy bottomed pan or non stick pan, so the spices wont get burnt easily. Also do everything in medium flame. Add 1/2 tsp of oil, add coriander seeds and roast till colour changes a little and nice aroma wafts. Then add red chilli and roast again.
Grind all the ingredients in batches to a smooth powder. You can grind it little coarsely also as per preference. Sift the powder to remove all lumps. Spread it and cool down. Mix everything well and store it in an air tight container.
Flavourful homemade rasam powder is ready.
1. Adjust chilli's as per spiciness preferred, also the colour / spiciness of the rasam powder depends on the type of the chilli's used.
2. Use byadigi / kashmiri chillies for bright red colour. I used normal chilli's only.
3. Channa dal gives thickness to the rasam, so it is a must ingredient.
4. Curry leaves lends nice aroma to this homemade rasam powder / podi.
5. Methi seeds gives special flavour to this rasam powder recipe. But you can skip it and use when tempering.
6. Always clean all the spices once before roasting to get rid of stones and dust.
7. You can dry roast all the ingredients also, but I used little oil.
8. For simple version, sun dry all the spices for 2 to 3 days and grind it in flour mill, if doing in large batches.
9. I used turmeric sticks which adds nice aroma and colour. In case you don't have virali manjal in hand, you can use turmeric powder also.
10. Always cool down the powder completely before storage, there should be no moisture.
11. Use a clean and dry container / ziplock cover to avoid bugs.
12. Shelf life of this podi is 2 months under refrigeration, use a dry spoon every time.