Sweet Appam / Wheat flour appam recipe is usually prepared on festive occasions like Karthigai Deepam, Krishna Jayanthi, Avani Avittam etc. But to taste this delicious sweet, festival should not be a reason. As it is very easy to prepare, and almost all the ingredients are readily available in our kitchen, we can make it any time instantly. It is a healthy sweet as the ingredients call for wheat flour and banana and it is not a deep fried one, so even elders can have it without any guilt. Instead of giving store bought junk food to our kids, we can prepare this homemade appam and serve them without any worry.
1. Wheat flour can be substituted with maida also. Jaggery can be replaced with sugar. This is another version of sweet appam.
2. Always use ripe banana for this Wheat flour appam recipe.
3. Adjust jaggery as per your sweetness.
4. Dry ginger powder / sukku can be skipped, but it helps in digestion.
5. If the batter is thick, the appam’s turn hard.
6. If the batter is watery, it absorbs more ghee.
7. If the batter is watery, add 1 tblsp of wheat flour / rice flour to troubleshoot it.
8. The batter should be in the dosa batter consistency.
9. Just add cooking soda before cooking. Also don’t add more than mentioned.
10. Instead of ghee, oil can be used for cooking. But it would be less flavourful.