Vegetable Pulav Recipe, a simple one pot meal with loads of veggies and flavour of ghee especially a kids friendly dish. It is also known as pilaf, and it is a simple, aromatic rice that can be seen in parties, buffets as it is liked by everyone irrespective of ages. This veg pulao recipe goes very well with aloo gobi, veg korma and masala papad.
Vegetable Pulav Recipe / Veg Pulao recipe, a simple one pot meal with loads of veggies and flavour of ghee especially a kids friendly dish.
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Onion
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 to 3 Green Chilli
- 1/2 Tomato Optional
- 3/4 Cup Mixed Vegetables (carrot, beans, peas)
- 10 to 15 Mint Leaves
- Salt As Required
- 1/4 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Jeera
- 1" Piece Cinnamon
- 3 Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- Few Pepper Corns Optional
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Small Piece Stone Mass Optional
- 2 tbsp Ghee / Oil
Rinse the rice well and soak in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain the water completely and keep by side. Chop onion, chilli, tomato and all the vegetables. Also clean little mint leaves and keep aside.
Measure and keep all the other spices ready. In a heavy bottomed pan, pour ghee and temper with all the spices listed in the table 'To Temper'.
Add onion and saute till it turns transparent. Then add ginger - garlic paste, green chill, tomato and saute till the raw smell leaves.
Add all the veggies and saute for a while in medium flame. Now pour 2 cups of water and let the veggies get half cooked (for 2 to 3 minutes).
Then add required salt, rice and mix everything gently.
Place the pan over a tawa, seal it with an aluminium foil and cover it with the lid tightly. Cook covered for 10 mins in low fire and switch off flame. Give a standby time of 5 minutes and then open the lid. (The rice can also be pressure cooked for 2 whistles)
Sprinkle mint leaves and gently fluff it up with a fork without breaking the rice grains.
Serve this Veg Pulao Recipe with Aloo Fry.
1. Instead of basmati rice, jeeraga samba or regular sona masoori rice can also be used.
2. Soaking the rice is very important, as it helps to get soft and separate rice grains.
3. Veggies like potato, cauliflower, sweet corn or even mushroom can be used.
4. Adjust green chilli as per spice level required for this vegetable pulav recipe.
5. Addition of tomato is purely optional, it can be replaced with few drops of lemon juice at last.
6. Tempering in ghee adds nice flavour to the veg pulao recipe. If worried about calories oil can be used.
7. Don’t skip bay leaf when tempering, as it adds excellent aroma to the rice.
8. Instead of water, rice can be cooked in coconut milk also, it lends rich taste.
9. Don’t pour more water for the rice, than mentioned as it turns the pulao mushy.
10. This pulao can also be pressure cooked for 2 whistles.
11. Mint leaves can be replaced with coriander leaves. Both can also be used as it adds extra flavour.