Todays post is about a very famous Iyengar Bakery Vegetable Masala Sandwich / Bread Masala Toast Recipe. It can also be called as open sandwich and it tastes so delicious and it has an amazing flavour. If you have fuzzy kids at home then this is the right choice to make them eat veggies, as they couldn’t identify the traces of vegetables hidden in it. You can alter the vegetables as per your choice, but the original recipes calls for onions and carrots only. This recipe is not only famous in Bangalore and I have tasted it so many times in Chennai and in my hometown Trichy as well. When I posted Iyengar Bakery Eggless Honey Cake recipe, I got request to post their other signature recipes also. As I have tried it so many times I was very confident to post this recipe.
Vegetable Masala Sandwich / Bread Masala Toast Recipe can also be called as open sandwich and it tastes so delicious and it has an amazing flavour.
- 8 Sandwich Bread
- Ghee For toasting breads (Link for Homemade Ghee)
- 1 tbsp Cheese Optional
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green chilli
- ½ Capsicum
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Small Carrot
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Link for Garam masala
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- ⅛ tsp Pepper Powder Optional
- Salt As Required
- ½ tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Jeera
- Few Curry Leaves
Chop onion, capsicum, tomatoes and green chilli finely. Grate carrot and keep by side. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
Now add jeera, onions, green chilli and saute till it turns transparent. Add capsicum and saute again.
Now add tomatoes and saute till it turns mushy. Then add carrot, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt.
Cook it for 5 to 6 minutes until the raw smell of the veggies leaves and it turns soft. Finally add coriander leaves, pepper powder and mix well. Heat a tawa and place a bread.
1. Veggies choice is purely optional. Cabbage, peas, beans etc can also be used. But the original recipe calls for onions and carrots only.
2. Few Mint leaves can be used for more flavour for this vegetable masala sandwich.
3. Garam masala can be replaced with kitchen king masala or chat masala.
4. The actual bread toast masala recipe is made with more onions and less carrots.
5. Whole wheat bread / milk bread can also be used for this recipe but I used sandwich bread.
6. A layer of tomato ketchup or butter can be used before spreading the veggie mixture.
7. For low calorie version ghee can be replaced with oil while toasting the breads.
8. This is an open sandwich only but you can make it as toasted or grilled sandwich.