Veg Schezwan Fried Rice recipe with step by step pics, a mildly spicy, hot, flavourful and vibrant main course rice variety from the Indo – Chinese Cuisine. I used homemade schezwan sauce (click here), but you can use store bought ones also. You can add mushroom, paneer and even baby corn to make the dish more kids friendly and interesting. I used spring onion which lends the original Chinese flavour but if you don’t have spring onions in hand, go ahead with regular onions. I have already shared some Indo – Chinese recipes like veg fried rice, paneer fried rice and hakka noodles, if interested click the link to view the recipe….
Veg Schezwan Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice
- 2 to 3 tbsp Olive / Sesame Oil
- 4 pods Garlic
- 1/4 Cup White Part of Spring Onion
- 1.5 Cup Vegetables (Carrot, Beans, Cabbage, Capsicum)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Schezwan Sauce Link for schezwan sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- Salt As Required
- 2 tbsp Green Part of Spring Onion
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
- Chop all the veggies into cubes or julienne it. Then chop garlic, white and green part of spring onion finely. Measure and keep all the other ingredients by side.
- Heat oil in a pan in high flame. Then add chopped garlic, white part of spring onion and just saute for 1/2 second in high flame, be sure not to burn it.
- Add all the veggies and sugar - it helps to retain the colour. Saute the veggies in high flame for 2 minutes only, so it retains the crunchiness. Sauteing the veggies in high flame is important to get the smoky / char aroma.
- Then pour the schezwan sauce and soy sauce.
- Now add vinegar, rice and required salt. Add salt very little only, as sauces have added salt in it.
- Sprinkle crushed pepper powder. Toss everything for 2 minutes in high flame, so the veggies and rice blends well. Garnish with green part of spring onion and give a quick mix.
- Enjoy this Veg schezwan fried rice recipe with gobi manchurian.
1. Use completely cooled rice, else the grains break while cooking.
2. Any leftover rice can also be used. I used basmati rice which gives nice flavour and taste.
3. Rice should be non – sticky without any lumps and should be aldente (3/4 th half cooked).
4. Veggies choice is purely optional. Even mushroom, baby corn, paneer can also be used.
5. Addition of garlic lends more flavour, but if you feel it is already added in the sauce you can skip it.
6. I used white part of spring onion, but it can be replaced with 1 regular onion also.
7. I used olive oil, but it can be replaced with sesame oil or any sunflower oil. Also add it generously.
8. Always cook the veggies in high flame, which lends a smoky aroma to the veg schezwan fried rice recipe.
9. Don’t skip sugar (step 4) as it helps to retain the colour of the veggies.
10. Also don’t overcook the veggies, it should retain the crunchiness.
11. Adjust schezwan sauce as per spice level required.