This Veg kurma recipe / Vegetable korma recipe is a typical south Indian style prepared with lot of veggies, coconut as base and tempered with a burst of aromatic spices. This tastes so similar to the ones served in restaurants, as the addition of cashews lends a very rich taste. It’s a perfect side dish for chapati, poori, parotta and even for or ghee rice too. Don’t get stammered, to prepare this gravy at the glance of the ingredients itself. If some pre-preparation work is finished before starting, it is so easy to cook.
Checkout my stepwise youtube video for this recipe
- 1 Big Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 Cup Mixed Vegetables (potato, carrot, beans, cauliflower, green peas)
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- Coriander Leaves (For garnishing)
- Salt As Required
- 1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
- 7 to 8 Cashew Nuts
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds / Khus khus
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1" Piece Cinnamon
- 3 Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- Few Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
Rinse and chop all the veggies. Also chop onion, tomato and slit green chilli.
In a mixer, grind all the ingredients given in the table 'To grind'. Grind it to a smooth paste by adding water little by little.
Heat oil in a pan and temper with items listed in the table 'To Temper'. Add onion, saute till transparent and add ginger garlic paste. Then add tomatoes and saute again until mushy.
Add all the veggies, turmeric powder, chilli powder and required salt. Also saute for a while till the raw smell of the veggies leaves.
Pour 1 cup of water and cover it with a lid. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes in medium flame.
1. Veggies choice is purely optional. I used carrot, beans, potato, peas and cauliflower.
2. For variation mushroom, paneer or soya chunks can be used.
3. Adjust Chilli powder, green chilli as per your spice level for this vegetable korma recipe.
4. Fried gram dal can be used instead of cashews. But cashews gives richness to the dish.
5. If using dried peas, soak for minimum 3 hours or over night and then use it.
6. Don’t skip any spices or curry leaves in tempering, which lends the whole aroma for this veg kurma recipe .
7. Add the grinded paste, only after the veggies get cooked.
8. You can skip coconut in grinding part, and add coconut milk also.
9. For more tanginess, lemon juice can be squeezed at last.