This Veg kurma recipe / Vegetable korma recipe is a typical south Indian style prepared with a lot of veggies, coconut as a base and tempered with a burst of aromatic spices. This tastes so similar to the ones served in restaurants, as the addition of cashews lends a very rich taste. It’s a perfect side dish for chapati, poori, parotta and even for or ghee rice too. Don’t get stammered, to prepare this gravy at the glance of the ingredients itself. If some pre-preparation work is finished before starting, it is so easy to cook.
Veg Kurma Recipe | Vegetable Korma Recipe
- 1 Big Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 Cup Mixed Vegetables (potato, carrot, beans, cauliflower, green peas)
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Link for Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- Coriander Leaves (For garnishing)
- Salt As Required
- 1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
- 7 to 8 Cashew Nuts
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds / Khus khus
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1" Piece Cinnamon
- 3 Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- Few Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Rinse and chop all the veggies. Also chop onion, tomato and slit green chilli.
- In a mixer, grind all the ingredients given in the table 'To grind'. Grind it to a smooth paste by adding water little by little.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with items listed in the table 'To Temper'. Add onion, saute till transparent and add ginger garlic paste. Then add tomatoes and saute again until mushy.
- Add all the veggies, turmeric powder, chilli powder and required salt. Also saute for a while till the raw smell of the veggies leaves.
- Pour 1 cup of water and cover it with a lid. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes in medium flame.
Tips for Vegetable Korma Recipe1. Veggies choice is purely optional. I used carrot, beans, potato, peas and cauliflower.
2. For variation mushroom, paneer or soya chunks can be used.
3. Adjust Chilli powder, green chilli as per your spice level for this vegetable korma recipe.
4. Fried gram dal can be used instead of cashews. But cashews gives richness to the dish.
5. If using dried peas, soak for minimum 3 hours or overnight and then use it.
6. Don't skip any spices or curry leaves in tempering, which lends the whole aroma for this veg kurma recipe.
7. Add the ground paste, only after the veggies get cooked.
8. You can skip coconut in grinding part, and add coconut milk also.
9. For more tanginess, lemon juice can be squeezed at last.
Method for Veg Kurma Recipe
1. Rinse and chop all the veggies. Also chop onion, tomato and slit green chilli.
2. In a mixer, grind all the ingredients given in the table ‘To Grind‘. Grind it to a smooth paste by adding water little by little.
3. Heat oil in a pan and temper with items listed in the table ‘To Temper‘. Add onion, saute till transparent and add ginger garlic paste. Then add tomatoes and saute again until mushy.
4. Add all the veggies, turmeric powder, chilli powder and required salt. Also, saute for a while till the raw smell of the veggies leaves.
5. Pour 1 cup of water and cover it with a lid. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes in medium flame.
6. Once the veggies get cooked, pour the ground paste. Let it boil in simmer, till the paste and the veggies blend well. Finally, garnish with coriander leaves. This korma should not be watery or too thick.
Serve this Vegetable korma with poori or chapati.
Sharmila-The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner
Delicious gravy!! The taste of the gravy is worth even after all the long set of ingredients!!
David @ Spiced
This sounds delicious, Priya! Perfect comfort food right there! 🙂
Thank you David.
Looks delicious. Love the video!
Thank you Mindy.
Waoo Such a Tasty and Yummy Recipe.
Thank you Sumit.
Anu - My Ginger Garlic Kitchen
Love a nice vegetable korma. Yours look delicious. Lovely share, Priya.
Superb Curry …loved it…
Thank you Swapna for your comments.