Urad Dal Chutney / Ulutham Paruppu Chutney is so simple and easy that can be made in the busy morning also. I learnt this recipe from my mom. It tastes so good with idli and especially wheat dosa and the left over chutney can be accompanied as a thogayal for lunch also. The flavour of the roasted urad dal, hing and the tanginess of the tamarind makes this chutney tongue smacking. Urad dal is also nutritious and it is recommended for diabetes, has shown to be useful to reduce the elevated cholesterol levels.
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 3 to 4 Red Chilli
- 1 Small Goosebery Size Tamarind
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Urad Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Oil
- In a tadka pan, roast red chill, hing and Urad dal till golden brown with little oil. Let it cool.
- Grind coconut and tamarind in a mixer. To this add the roasted ingredients (red chilli, hing, urad dal) and grind it again with little water and salt to a smoother or coarse paste.
1. Adjust red chilli according to your spice level for this Ulutham Paruppu Chutney.
2. You can grind the chutney to a coarse or smooth paste according to your preference.
3. Don’t skip tamarind and add hing generously which enhances the taste of the chutney.
4. For variation, you can also use split black urad dal which gives more flavour to the Urad Dal chutney.