Ulutham Kanji Recipe / Karuppu Ulundhu Kanji with stepwise pics and a short YouTube video. Also, if you like my video, please share it and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to my channel. Black Urad Dal is also called as black lentils or matpe beans in English and karuppu ulundhu in the Tamil Language is nothing but the regular urad dal with skin. I usually make this Kanji/porridge for some weekend mornings, really it keeps the tummy full till noon. In fact, the truth is it has been ages that I prepared this porridge but I want to share this recipe to all my readers during this COVID situation, considering its health benefits. As the preparation method does not require oil at all, you can have it any time of the day without any guilt and even feed for toddlers. It has been suggested by so many nutritionists and dieticians in all the social media now, to drink this Ulundhu Kanji regularly as it boosts your overall health by a significant margin. This black urad dal has the highest sources of proteins, vitamin B, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium, which makes this dal a perfect health package for pregnant women and small girls. Urad dal is widely used in the preparation of Idli, Dosa, Vada, Papad etc in Indian Cuisine. If interested check my Black Gram Idli Podi, Dal Makhani and 100+ Lockdown Recipes.
Health Benefits of Black Urad Dal
- Improves Digestion – If you are suffering from diarrhoea, constipation, bloating or cramps include this urad dal in your diet regularly to get rid of all these troubles.
- Boosts Bone Mineral Density
- Helps to maintain blood sugar levels, so good for diabetic patients
- Potassium content in it helps to improve the blood circulation process of your body and helps in preventing any damage to the walls of your arterial walls, so it is good for your heart.
- Strengthens Nervous System and makes our brain function healthy. It is used in various ayurvedic medicines to cure nervous debility, partial paralysis, facial paralysis and other disorders.
- Reduces Pain And Inflammation – it contains a high amount of vitamins and minerals, which help in boosting your metabolism. A little paste of urad dal can be applied topically to your aching joints and muscles for relief.
- Good For Skin And Hair – minerals and vitamins contained in it helps to get rid of marks, spots and bring more oxygenated blood that gives radiant and glowing skin
Check my other Healthy Recipes like
Ulutham Kanji Recipe | Karuppu Ulundhu Kanji
- Pressure Cooker
1 Cup = 250 ML, 1 tsp = 5 ML
- 1 Cup Black Urad Dal / கறுப்பு உளுந்து
- ½ Cup Raw Rice / பச்சைஅரிசி
- 1 tsp Methi Seeds / Fenugreek / வெந்தயம்
- 15 to 20 Flakes Garlic / பூண்டு
- ½ Cup Grated coconut / துருவிய தேங்காய்
- Salt / உப்பு As Required
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Peel the skin of the garlic and chop it roughly.
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 cup of black urad dal and dry roast it for 1 minute. Don't roast for more time otherwise, it won't get properly cooked or mashed.
- Pour 5 cups of water and immediately add the raw rice.
- Add the methi seeds, chopped garlic and required salt.
- Pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles in medium flame.
- Once the pressure subsides by itself remove the vent.
- Mash it slightly with a potato masher or wooden mathu (watch my video for more details).
- Add the grated coconut and boil for 2 more minutes.
- It thickens with time, so adjust with hot water or warm milk before serving.Try this protein-rich Ulundhu Kanji to strengthen your bones.
Tips for Karuppu Ulundhu Kanji
- I used whole black urad dal you can use split ones too. But don't use skinless urad dal, as it has less nutritional value.
- Dry roast the urad dal just for 1 minute. If roasted for more time, it won't get cooked or mashed properly.
- I used raw rice, it can be replaced with parboiled rice / Puzhungal Arisi too.
- Addition of methi seeds is optional. It lends a very slightly bitter taste but the Karuppu Ulundhu Kanji will be flavourful.
- Garlic flakes can be increased or decreased as preferred, but don't skip it which is the main flavouring ingredient.
- I mashed the cooked dal a bit, to get a slightly mushy texture but it's your choice.
- Grated coconut can be replaced with 1 cup of coconut milk, but there will be no difference in taste.
- This Ulutham Kanji Recipe thickens with time, so adjust with hot water or milk before serving.
Method for Ulutham Kanji Recipe
1. First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Peel the skin of the garlic and chop it roughly.
2. In a pressure cooker, add 1 cup of black urad dal and dry roast it for 1 minute. Don’t roast for more time otherwise, it won’t get properly cooked or mashed.
3. Pour 5 cups of water and immediately add the raw rice.
4. Add the methi seeds, chopped garlic and required salt.
5. Pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles in medium flame.
6. Once the pressure subsides by itself remove the vent.
7. Mash it slightly with a potato masher or wooden mathu (watch my video for more details).
8. Add the grated coconut and boil for 2 more minutes.
9. It thickens with time, so adjust with hot water or warm milk before serving.
Try this protein-rich Karuppu Ulundhu Kanji to strengthen your bones.