Tomato Soup Recipe is one of the simplest, tastiest soup with the easily available ingredients in our kitchen pantry. The climate here in Bangalore demands a warm, soul-soothing soup. The recipe I have shared here is a one which is prepared in restaurants, but you can prepare it without the addition of fresh cream too. If preferred, you can make it with small tomato chunks, but I have filtered it to get a smooth, creamy texture. Also, I have shared this Cream Of Tomato Soup with step by step pics, a short youtube video and if you like it, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Tomato Soup Recipe | Cream of Tomato Soup
- 4 to 5 Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Butter
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Garlic Flakes
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Small Piece Carrot
- 1.5 + 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- Salt As Required
- 2 Slices Bread
- 1 tbsp Oil For frying bread
- 1 tbsp Fresh Cream
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Then chop onion, tomatoes and carrot roughly. Also, peel the skin of garlic flakes, slice the bread into pieces and dissolve cornflour with 2 tbsp of water.
- To a pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and fry the bread pieces till golden colour. Or else, toast the bread pieces in the preheated oven at 200c until golden colour.
- Heat butter in a pan, then add bay leaf, garlic and onion. Saute for a while, till nice aroma wafts. Then add carrot and tomatoes.
- Add required salt and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy. Then pour 1.5 cups of water.
- Boil for 7 to 8 minutes in low flame. Cool down the mixture, remove the bay leaf and grind it smoothly.
- Strain the mixture and discard the pulp. Start heating in low flame, pour 1/2 cup of water and 1 tsp of sugar.
- Adjust salt and once it starts to boil, pour the cornflour dissolved in water.
- Boil for 2 more minutes, till the raw smell of the cornflour leaves and add crushed pepper powder. Switch off the flame, add fresh cream and fried bread pieces.
Serve this Tomato Soup Recipe hot.
Tips for Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe
- Use deep red colour, ripe tomatoes only, to get a good colour and tasty tomato soup recipe.
- Don't use tomatoes which are unripe, sour or with shrunken skins.
- I suggest using carrots, which gives a creamy texture, vibrant colour and balance the sourness of the tomatoes.
- Instead of sauteeing in butter, you can use olive oil too, which lends a nice taste.
- You can skip the onion, but never skip garlic which adds a nice aroma.
- Addition of sugar is a must, which helps to balance the sourness in the tomatoes. But don't add more than mentioned which changes the taste completely.
- Always switch off the flame and then add fresh cream, else there is a chance of curdling.
- Adjust pepper powder as per spice level required for this cream of tomato soup.