Tomato Rice Recipe / Thakkali Sadam Recipe in Tamilnadu or Tomato bath in Karnataka is a quick lunch which can be made in a hurry. Whenever I run out of lunch menu ideas or feel lazy to cook my immediate rescuer is this Tomato bhath. We can have this rice with simple raitha and surely have a hearty meal. The flavour of the garlic, the tanginess in the tomatoes, added ghee at last and also the vibrant colour makes this South Indian tomato rice tastes great.
Tomato Rice Recipe / Thakkali Sadam Recipe in Tamilnadu or Tomato bath in Karnataka is a quick lunch which can be made in a hurry.
- 1 Cup Basmasti Rice
- 1 Big Onion
- 3 to 4 Tomato
- 10 Pods Garlic
- 2 to 3 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves (Chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder Link for garam masala
- Salt As Needed
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tsp Channa dal
- 1 tsp Saunf
- 1 Small Cinnamon (Optional)
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Ghee Link for ghee
Rinse and soak Basmati rice in water for 30 mins. Drain the water and pressure cook the rice (for 3 whistles) with water ratio of 1:1.5. Fluff up the rice with a fork and let it cool down. Keep by side.
Chop onion lengthwise finely, tomatoes roughly, garlic in circles and slit green chilli's. Heat oil in a kadai and temper the ingredients listed in the table 'To Temper'.
Add onions, garlic, green chilly and saute till onions turns transparent.
Now add tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Saute well until tomatoes turn mushy and leaves water. Now it looks like a tomato thokku or semi gravy.
Add rice to the semi gravy and mix carefully without breaking the rice grains. Finally add chopped coriander leaves and ghee.
Serve it hot with any raithas.
Tips for Thakkali Sadam Recipe
1. I used basmati rice or you can use any rice variety for this Tomato Rice Recipe.
2. Any left over rice can also be used for this Tomato Bhath.
3. For a change you can also add boiled green peas while cooking.
4. Addition of cinnamon is optional but it gives a restaurant touch to the rice.
5. Choose deep red colour tomatoes, so that you get a vibrant colour Thakkali Sadam Recipe.
6. Tempering the ingredients adds nice flavour.