A tangy and tasty one pot meal, perfect for lunch box, prepared with tomatoes only -- Tomato biryani recipe with step by step pics and a short you tube video. Unlike, veg biryani or Hyderbadi biryani, this thakkali biryani recipe doesn’t call for a long list of ingredients. It can be prepared in busy mornings too and even satisfy our sudden biryani cravings in the mid of week. It pairs well with easy potato fry, raw banana fry or even a simple onion raitha is enough.
Checkout my youtube video for this recipe
Tomato biryani recipe is tangy and tasty one pot meal, perfect for lunch box, prepared with tomatoes only. Unlike, veg biryani or Hyderbadi biryani, this thakkali biryani recipe doesn't call for a long list of ingredients.
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 1 Onion
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 Pods Garlic
- 3 to 4 Green Chilli
- 1 Fistful Green Peas
- 1/4 Cup Mint & Coriander Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1.5 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt As Required
- 1.5 Cup Tomato Puree
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Small Cinnamon
- 4 Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- Few Black Stone Flower / Kal Pasi (Optional)
Rinse and soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes, then drain the water completely. Puree the tomatoes and extract coconut milk.
Chop onion, garlic and slit green chilli. Clean mint and coriander leaves. Then measure and keep all the other ingredients aside.
Heat ghee / oil in a pan and temper with the spices listed in the table 'To Temper'. Once nice smell wafts from the spices, add onion and saute till translucent.
Add ginger - garlic paste, chopped garlic and saute till the raw smell leaves. Then add green peas, mint - coriander leaves and give a quick stir.
Saute well and add tomato puree.
Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder and required salt. Mix everything well.
Cook covered for 2 minutes in low flame, till the raw smell of the tomato puree leaves. Now pour coconut milk.
1. Use red and ripe tomatoes for a vibrant coloured tomato biryani recipe.
2. For more tanginess, 1 extra tomato can be added.
3. For quick version, ready made tomato puree and coconut milk can be used.
4. If preferred other veggies like carrot, beans, potato or even soya chunks can be added. But there will be a difference in taste.
5. Coconut milk can be replaced with water. But coconut milk lends richness and helps to balance the tanginess from the tomatoes.
6. I used basmati rice, but jeeraga samba rice or even sona masoori can be used.
7. I suggest ghee for tempering which gives a wonderful taste and aroma to the thakkali biryani recipe.
8. If preferred few cashews can be added while tempering.
9. This biryani can be directly prepared in a pressure cooker as an one pot meal, which saves time and less vessels will be used.