Tiffin Sambar With Toor Dal / Idli Dosa Sambar Recipe with step by step detailed pics and I have made a short YouTube video too for easy understanding. As all of you know, I have already shared a variety of breakfast sambar recipes in my blog, this is another addition to it. I have prepared it using carrot and potato but it can be made plain with shallots alone, it tastes divine in its own way. It always goes well with idli, dosa, rava dosa, Ven Pongal, medhu vada….. and the list adds on and my love for sambar also never ends, that is soon I will post another sambar recipe in my blog.
Find my other Breakfast Sambar recipes like
1. Hotel Style Tiffin Sambar / Tiffin Sambar With Moong Dal
2. Saravana Bhavan Style Sambar Recipe
3. Instant Sambar For Idli
4. Mixed Vegetable Sambar
Tiffin Sambar with Toor Dal | Idli Dosa Sambar Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 10 - 12 Small Onion / Shallots
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Potato
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Small Gooseberry Sized Tamarind
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 tsp Sambar Powder Link for sambar powder
- Salt As Required
- 1 Small Piece Jaggery
- Coriander Leaves (For Garnishing)
To Roast and Grind
- 1.5 tbsp Channa Dal
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 3/4 tsp Meethi Seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 5 Red Chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Coconut
- 2 Generous Pinch Hing
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Generous Pinch Hing
- 1 tbsp Ghee/Oil Link for ghee
- First, rinse toor dal well, pour 2 cups of water and pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Once the pressure subsides by itself, mash the dal and keep aside. Then, soak tamarind in water for 20 mins, extract tamarind juice and discard the pulp. Now, measure and keep all the ingredients ready for roasting.
- Peel the skin of shallots, slit green chilli, chop tomato, carrot and potato. Also, keep the ingredients ready for tempering.
- To a pan, pour 2 tsp of oil and add all the ingredients (except grated coconut) listed in the table 'To Roast and Grind'. Roast till nice smell wafts, switch off the flame, add grated coconut and give a quick stir. Let it cool down.
- Transfer it to a mixer and grind it little coarsely.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan/kadai, add shallots, green chilli and saute till translucent. Then add tomato, carrot, potato and saute till the raw smell leaves.
- Pour the dal water, then add turmeric powder, sambar powder and required salt. Cook for 5 minutes, until the veggies turn soft.
- Now pour the tamarind juice and the grounded powder. Mix well and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add the mashed dal, boil for another 2 to 3 minutes and switch off the flame. Furthermore, heat ghee in a small tadka pan and temper with the ingredients given in the table 'To Temper'.Then pour it over the sambar.
- Finally, add jaggery and garnish with coriander leaves.Serve this Tiffin sambar with toor dal with instant ragi dosa.
Tips for Idli Dosa Sambar Recipe