I think certainly, this is the right time to post this refreshing drink Thandai Recipe / Easy Holi Recipes, but better late than never. This is the first time, that I prepared Thandai drink for my blog sake and for sure it was so refreshing. It is also called as Sardai, and even in some places they add melon seeds, dried rose petals and vetiver seeds. It is mainly prepared during Holi, because it marks the beginning of summer in India. The addition of nuts gives us energy, peppercorns increases immunity, fennel seeds – saffron prevent indigestion and finally poppy seeds gives the cooling effect to the body. Do try for this Holi Festival, which falls on 1 March 2018……
Find my other HOLI FESTIVAL RECIPES
1. Kaju Pista Roll
2. Besan Ladoo Recipe
3. Dodha Burfi Recipe
4. Gajar Ka Halwa / Carrot Halwa Recipe
Thandai Recipe | Easy Holi Recipes
- 1/2 Litre Milk 2 Cups
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Drops Rose Essense
- Few Saffron Strands
- 20 Almonds / Badam
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds / Khus Khus
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 10 Pepper Corns
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Soak almonds in hot water for 1/2 an hour. Then peel the skin of the almonds and soak the saffron strands in little warm milk for 15 minutes. Then measure and keep all the ingredients by side.
- To a mixer, add almonds, poppy seeds, fennel seeds and pepper corns. Then grind it to a smooth paste by adding 1/2 cup of water.
- Boil milk well and then pour the grounded almond mixture.
- Mix well for a while and set aside for 30 minutes, so the almond paste flavour gets infused with the milk well. Then strain the milk using a filter, discard the almond residue.
- Place the milk in flame again and add sugar. Stir well for 2 minutes, so the sugar dissolves and now add cardamom powder.
- Finally pour the little saffron milk, kept aside and switch off flame. When the thandai drink cools down, add rose essence and mix well. Refrigerate for minimum 1 hour and then serve chilled.Try this Thandai recipe for this Holi Festival.
Tips for Thandai Recipe
1. Even cashew, pista (10 each) can be grounded along with almonds for more rich taste.
2. Also 1 tbsp of dried rose petals can be grounded with almonds to get nice flavour.
3. All the nuts, spices and rose petals can be grounded without adding water. This dry thandai masala powder can be stored for 15 days and used whenever needed.
4. Furthermore, the wet thandai paste can be stored in refrigerator and used for a week.
5. Set aside the thandai drink for minimum 30 minutes, so the flavours get blended well with the milk.
6. You can straightly have the drink without straining also (Step 4).
7. Melon seeds, nutmeg powder can also be added for more taste and flavour.
8. Addition of rose essence is optional, also add it only after the drink cools down.
9. Rose essence can be replaced with 1 tsp of rose water also for this thandai recipe / easy holi recipes.
10.This drink tastes too good when served chilled.