Tamarind Rice recipe / Puliyogare recipe is my all time favorite, to say the truth if given daily also, I can have it happily. Puli sadam / pulihora by whatever name you may call it is a very famous dish all over South India, that it is offered as prasadams in temples also. According to me, I can say that my mom prepares the best puli sadam in the world. Though I prepare it 4 to 5 times in a month, I couldn’t replicate the taste of the rice prepared by my mom. I personally feel, she has some wonders in her hand. I have already shared Temple style Puliyodharai and this a simple version. We can prepare the tamarind paste (pulikachal) in advance and use it whenever needed as it stays good for even 15 days under refrigeration.
1. You can alter tamarind quantity as per tanginess preferred. Also make it bit more tangy, as it gets balanced and taste good with time.
2. Adjust chilli as per your spice level for this tamarind rice recipe.
3. Use dark tamarind (karuppu puli) for dark coloured puliyogare recipe.
4. I used basmati rice, any rice variety or even left over rice can be used. Also make sure that the rice grains are not mushy.
5. Addition of peanuts is optional, it can be replaced with cashews also.
6. Add hing and curry leaves generously which lends a wonderful aroma to the tamarind rice.
7. This rice taste best with gingelly oil, also don’t reduce the quantity.
8. Addition of jaggery makes the rice slightly sweet and also enhances the taste. But I didn’t use.
9. Adjust rice and puli kachal quantity as per your taste buds.
10. Puli kachal stays good for 10 to 15 days under refrigeration. It can be stored and used whenever needed.