Sweet potato gulab jamun / Shakarkandi ke gulab jamun is a dessert made with sweet potato, maida and sugar. I have heard about this sweet potato gulab jamun recipe but this the first time I am trying my hands on this. It is also an vegan version and you can prepare this in an ease as it requires minimal ingredients only. I was bit confused about the taste but it was so delicious like other traditional jamuns. Try this dessert for Diwali, if you are running short of time, as this recipe is instantaneous.
Sweet potato gulab jamun recipe / Shakarkandi ke gulab jamun is a dessert made with sweet potato, maida and sugar. It is also an vegan version and you can prepare this in an ease as it requires minimal ingredients only.
- 1 Cup Sweet potato
- 1 tbsp Maida
- 2 Pinch Cooking soda (Generously)
- Almonds / Pistachios (Optional - For garnishing)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 2 Drops Rose essence
- 2 Cardamom
- Few Strands Saffron Optional
Wash the sweet potatoes well. Chop it and pressure cook for 3 whistles, add little water only. Drain the water completely, peel the skin and mash it very well without any small chunks also. There should not be any moisture content.
Add cooking soda, maida and mix everything to form a smooth dough. If the dough is sticky add another 1 tblsp of maida.
Pinch the dough into small portions. Grease your hand with ghee and roll it into balls without any cracks. Heat oil in a kadai, check the oil temperature by dropping a small pinch. If it raises immediately, the temperature is perfect. Reduce the flame and drop the balls carefully in the oil. Don't crowd the oil. Flip it on both sides and fry it till golden brown. Drain it in kitchen towel.
Add sugar and water in a pan. Boil it until sugar melts and the syrup becomes slightly thick. No one string consistency is required. Now add cardamom pods and saffron. When the sugar syrup is warm, drop the fried balls one by one. The jamuns absorb the sugar syrup very faster. But give a resting time for about 3 to 4 hours. Toss the jamuns gently once or twice.
Delicious sweet potato gulab jamun is ready. Serve it in a bowl.
1. Sweet potatoes should be mashed well without any small pieces or chunk.
2. Don’t add maida / all purpose flour more, else the jamuns turn hard.
3. Also don’t roll the balls tightly, otherwise jamun will become hard.
4. Always fry the jamuns in medium flame,so it gets cooked inside.
5. Sweet potatoes can be replaced with regular potatoes.
6. Do not add the jamun’s when the sugar syrup is hot, It shrinks in size.