This sweet pidi kozhukattai recipe / sweet kozhukattai recipe is the most simplest one that can be easily prepared with the available ingredients in hand. It doesn’t require any perfect shape or modak shapers, just our fingers is enough to try this guilt free snack. As Ganesh Chathurthi is nearing, all of you will be busy with the pre-preparation works so it’s time to get into the recipe….
Checkout my other Ganesh Chathurthi recipes…..
Sweet Pidi Kozhukattai Recipe | Sweet Kozhukattai Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Rice Flour
- 1.25 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Gingelly Oil / Ghee
- First, measure all the ingredients and keep everything ready. In a heavy bottomed pan, pour the water.
- Then add powdered jaggery and let it dissolve completely.
- Then take a non-stick pan, pour the filtered the jaggery water. Once it starts to boil, add the grated coconut.
- Now add cardamom powder and salt. Don't let the jaggery water to change to syrup stage else the rice flour won't get cooked.
- Simmer the flame and add the rice flour slowly and in a sprinkled way to avoid lump formation. Stir continuously in low flame for 5 to 6 mins, till it forms a mass and comes together. Ensure the rice flour is completely cooked, before steaming to get soft kozhukattai. If there are little bit lumps no need to worry, as we keep mixing it becomes smooth.
- Now add oil and mix again. Transfer the dough to a bowl and let it cool a little.
- When it is hand bearable that is warm, knead the dough smoothly. Pinch equal sized dough and roll into balls. Take a ball and make into oval/oblong shape. Do the same till the dough is over.
- Press the oval/oblong shape kozhukattai with your fingers to make the impression. Grease a steamer or idli plate with little oil.
- Arrange the kozhukattai in the steamer or idli plate and cook covered.
- Steam it for 10 to 12 minutes in medium flame and switch off the flame.
Try this sweet pidi kozhukattai recipe for this Ganesh Chaturthi festival or as an evening snack too.
1. I used ready made rice flour / Idiyappam flour, you can use homemade flour too.
2. Always filter the jaggery to remove impurities for this sweet kozhukattai recipe.
3. Adjust jaggery as per sweetness required. If increasing the jaggery, increase the water also, so the rice flour cooks properly.
4. Water quantity varies on the quality of the rice flour used, so adjust water accordingly.
5. Don’t boil the jaggery water till syrup consistency, else the rice flour wont get cooked.
6. Ensure the rice flour is completely cooked in the boiling jaggery water itself to get soft – sweet pidi kozhukattai recipe.
7. If the rice flour is not properly cooked in jaggery water, it wont get cooked while steaming also.
8. Addition of gingelly oil at last adds a nice aroma to the dough. But oil can be replaced with ghee also.
9. Don’t skip salt, as it enhances the sweetness and adds taste to the recipe.
10. Always keep the dough covered to avoid dryness.
11. If preferred the same dough can be rolled into tiny balls and then steamed.