Suzhiyan Recipe / Suzhiyam Recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video. The inner pooranam (stuffing) is the one that we make for Puran Poli and mothagam, made into balls, dipped in maida batter then deep fried in oil. This sweet delicacy is a must in my home on the day of Diwali along with ulundhu vada and sometimes I prepare this for the Navratri festival too. You can prepare the inner stuffing in advance, keep refrigerated and use whenever needed, it is a time-saving idea too. It is called by other names like suyam, seeyam, thoppam, susiyam, sweet bonda etc. Let me know, by what name you call this sweet, if have any different names, leave a comment.
- 1 Cup Channa Dal / Bengal Gram / கடலை பருப்பு
- 1.5 Cup Water / தண்ணீர்
- 1 Cup Jaggery / வெல்லம்
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut / துருவிய தேங்காய்
- 3 to 4 Cardamom / ஏலக்காய்
- Ghee / நெய் As Required
- 1/2 Cup Maida / மைதா மாவு
- 1.5 tbsp Rice Flour / அரிசிமாவு
- Little Salt / உப்பு
- 1 Generous Pinch Cooking Soda / சமையல் சோடா
- Water / தண்ணீர் As Required
- Soak channa dal in water for 2 hours. By the mean time arrange all the ingredients needed to make the stuffing. Boil 1.5 cups of water in a vessel and add the channa dal.
- Just cook the channa dal till soft, but not mushy (press between your fingers to check). You can also pressure cook for 4 whistles in 1 cup of water. Drain the water completely. Once it cools down, transfer the channa dal to a mixer. Grind it coarsely in pulse mode, just once, don't make it to a paste.
- To a pan, add the grounded channa dal and powdered jaggery. In another pan, add 2 tsp of ghee, add grated coconut and crushed cardamom. Roast till nice smell wafts.
- Then add it to the channa dal - jaggery mixture. Mix everything well for 2 minutes in low flame, till it comes together.
- Pinch a small portion of the stuffing / pooranam, and roll it into a ball, little tightly.
- Make equal sized balls with all the pooranam.
- Now, measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the outer layer.
To a wide bowl, add maida, rice flour, cooking soda and salt. Pour very little water and whisk it well. The batter should not be too thick or watery when dripped it should be like a dosa batter.
- Now, drop a pooranam ball in the batter. Then carefully roll the ball in the batter and ensure the batter is coated all over, else the stuffing oozes out. Heat oil in a pan, and drop 2 or 3 balls slowly.
Tips for Suzhiyan Recipe
For the Channa Dal Pooranam (Inner Stuffing)
1. Always soak the channa dal for minimum 2 hours, else it won't get cooked properly.
2. I cooked the channa dal separately in an open pot. You can also pressure cook it for 4 whistles.
3. Ensure the channa dal is just cooked but not mushy. It should hold the shape after cooking.
4. Also, grind the channa dal coarsely just once in pulse mode. Never grind it to a paste.
5. This pooranam stays good for a month under refrigeration.
For the Outer Layer
1. The batter can be made only with maida or idli batter alone or both can be used.
2. Also, 2 pinches of turmeric powder or food colour can be added to the batter for a colourful suzhiyam recipe.
3. Addition of rice flour to the batter, adds crispness to the outer layer.
4. If using idli batter, ensure it is not sour, otherwise, the suzhiyam won't taste good.
5. If the batter is watery, the inner stuffing oozes out and it sucks more oil too.
6. The batter should be in medium consistency when dripped it should flow like a ribbon.
7. If the batter is thick, the suzhiyan turns a little hard.