This Sugarcane Juice Pongal recipe is a very delicious and indeed a great replacement to our regular Chakkara pongal. But the tiring part is to extract juice from sugarcane with our ordinary mixers / blenders. If you make the sugarcane juice, then the other work will be finished in minutes. To simplify the job, you can even buy ready made sugarcane juice from vendors and usually they add lemon juice, but buy it without the addition of lemon juice. The main point here is even diabetic patients can taste this pongal, as sugarcane contains natural sugar, which has low glycemic index that prevents steep rise in blood sugar level (source : Wiki). Do try this tongue smacking Karumbu Chaaru Pongal for this Sankranthi festival…….
1. Make thick sugarcane juice for good taste. Don’t use more water when grinding and dilute it.
2. For easy version, you can buy ready made sugarcane juice from vendors without addition of lemon juice.
3. Roasting moong dal is optional, but it lends more flavour to the sugarcane juice pongal.
4. Sugar can be replaced with rock sugar candy also (kalkandu).
5. Instead of sugar, jaggery can also be used. But heat slightly, filter and then use it to remove impurities.
6. Adjust sugar depending on the sweetness of the sugarcane juice used.
7. A pinch of edible camphor can be added for nice aroma, but don’t add more else the pongal tastes bitter.
8. Add ghee generously, which lends softness and flavour to the karumbu chaaru pongal.
9. Mash the rice at least slightly, else the pongal turns hard after cooling.