This year Rama Navami falls on Sunday, 25 March, which is a spring Hindu festival that celebrates the birthday of Lord Rama. This Vadapappu recipe is more or less like a salad, soaked moong dal is mixed with green chilli and grated coconut without any tempering. In some places, it is made during Vara Mahalakshmi pooja and Ugadi festival too. Usually it is prepared with panakam and neer mor as Sri Rama Navami Naivedyam.
- 1/2 Cup Moong Dal
- 1 Green Chilli Chopped
- 1 tbsp Cucumber
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 tsp Coriander Leaves
- Salt As Required
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
Measure and soak moong dal in water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Rinse well for 2 to 3 times and drain the water thoroughly. Chop green chilli, cucumber and coriander leaves finely. Then grate coconut and keep 1 tsp of lemon juice ready.
To a wide bowl, add the soaked moong dal, green chilli, cucumber, grated coconut and coriander leaves. Then add very little salt.
Finally add lemon juice and mix everything well.
Prepare this vadapappu recipe along with paal paysam for Sri Rama Navami Naivedyam.
1. Ensure the moong dal is soaked properly, for minimum 30 minutes at least.
2. Also drain the water thoroughly from the moong dal, before mixing with other ingredients.
3. Prepare the vadapappu recipe just before naivedyam, else water oozes out from cucumber and salt.
4. Even 1 tbsp of grated raw mango and carrot can be added along with cucumber.
5. If using raw mango, reduce the lemon juice quantity to 1/2 tsp.
6. It can be tempered with mustard seeds also. If preparing for Sri Rama Navami naivedyam, skip the tempering part.