I think many of you have tasted this Hotel Sambar in HSB (Hotel Saravana Bhavan), which has a chain of branches worldwide and I think no intro is needed about the taste and hygienic food served there. This hotel and the sambar served there has so many cherishable memories in my heart. After marriage, when I moved to Chennai, the first dinner with hubby is in HSB only. As my Mil’s house is very close to the main branch in Vadapalani, at least twice in a week we go to this restaurant and I have tasted almost all the food varieties in the menu card there, wonderful 8 years in Chennai!. Coming to the recipe, the secret is in the grinding of tomato and fried gram, which makes a drastic difference from other sambar recipes. This Saravana Bhavan Style Sambar Recipe pairs well with idli, dosa, ven pongal, vada, rava upma too.
- Idli Sambar Recipe
- Poori Masala Recipe
- Hotel Style Tiffin Sambar
- How to make puffy Poori
- Instant Onion Rava Dosa
1. I used brinjal and carrot. Other veggies like drumstick, potato etc., can also be added.
2. Adjust chilli and sambar powder as per spice level preferred for this hotel sambar.
3. Don’t add tomato or tamarind more than mentioned, as this sambar should not be too tangy.
4. Don’t skip fried gram, as this the main ingredient, which gives texture, thickness and flavour to the sambar.
5. Pour tamarind extract only after the veggies get cooked, else it wont get cooked afterwards.
6. Tempering at last, helps to retain the flavour for a long time.
7. Use ghee for tempering, which adds more flavour to this saravana bhavan style sambar recipe.
8. Shallots is a must for this sambar along with the veggies as it lends more taste. Don’t use regular onions.
9. This sambar thickens very soon, so add hot water accordingly before serving.
10. If preferred, very little jaggery / sugar can be added at last, to enhance the taste.