Homemade sambar powder / sambar powder recipe is the most important and essential condiment in almost all south Indian homes. As most of us prepare sambar for atleast once a week, this sambar podi is always in demand. Though we get lot of readymade packets in market, I feel something is missing in those powders may be flavour or colour. Anyhow homemade gives us utmost satisfaction, that good quality ingredients are used without any adulteration and everything done hygenically. When I posted sambar recipes, I got some requests to post sambar powder. This is my mom’s recipe, till today she prepares this powder in bulk and pass to me and my sister. To say the truth this is the first time, I am grinding on my own for blogging sake. When I made this yesterday, the whole house was filled with the sambar powder aroma and even my neighbours asked me for the recipe. Finally a big thanks to my mom, who cleared all my doubts in preparing this powder.
1. Adjust chilli’s and pepper corns as per your spice level.
2. Use fresh spices and clean the spices before roasting as it might have dust or stones.
3. Dry roast all the ingredients in medium flame and don’t burn it.
4. You can also sun dry all the spices separately for 2 to 3 hours and then grind it.
5. I used turmeric sticks which gives an excellent aroma and colour. I can say the whole flavour of the sambar powder recipe comes from the turmeric sticks. So worth using it.
6. If using turmeric sticks, first dry roast, crush it in hand mortar and pestle and then grind it in a mixer. Else if grinded straightly it will get stuck up and you won’t get fine powder.
7. Turmeric powder can also be used. In that case, it can be straightly added to the spices after grinding. No need to roast it.
8. Addition of rice gives flavour and thickness to the sambar.
9. Always sift the powder before storing, to avoid lumps.
10. If doing in very large quantiy, you can grind it in flour mill also.
11. Shelf life of this homemade sambar powder is 6 months. If refrigrated it can be stored for 1 year. But always store it in an air tight and clean container without any moisture.
12. This sambar powder can be also used for kara kuzhambu, vathal kuzhambu, any poriyal and curries also.