I think this rose milk recipe doesn’t need any intro, it’s basically cold milk flavoured with rose syrup. I always prepare this rose syrup in large quantity during summer and prepare rose milk every now and then. I even try to avoid hot drinks like coffee/tea which I regularly have it in the morning and evening (unavoidable habit). Though there are numerous rose syrup brands in the market to make the work simpler, preparing from scratch by ourselves, always gives a delight. This homemade rose syrup recipe lends more flavour, and we can also avoid food colour by using beetroot juice. From my childhood, I am always fascinated at the first sight of this rose milk and till today we can see this rose milk in the menu cards of all restaurants and juice shops in Tamilnadu. It is always an evergreen drink and a perfect thirst quencher for summer.
Rose Milk Recipe | Homemade Rose Syrup Recipe
For Rose Syrup
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water + 2 tblsp
- 1/2 tsp Pink Food Colour
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp Rose Essence
For making rosemilk (Single Serving)
- 1 Cup Chilled Milk
- 1 tbsp Rose Syrup
- 2 to 3 Ice Cubes
- First, get ready with the ingredients. In a heavy bottomed pan add sugar, then pour water over it.
- Boil it in medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, until sugar dissolves and bubbles start to appear. Once the syrup starts to slightly thicken, add food colour and stir well.
- Boil for few more seconds, till sticky consistency is reached (that is 1/2 string). No one string consistency is required. Switch off flame and allow it to cool. Now add rose essence and mix well. Store it in an air tight and clean container.
Tips for Homemade Rose Syrup Recipe
1. For more flavour, 1/4 tsp of rose essence can be increased, for this homemade rose syrup recipe.
2. Pink food colour can be replaced with 2 tsp of thick beetroot juice.
3. Don't use rose water, which is different from rose essence. Rose water is mainly used for cosmetics purpose.
4. Do the whole preparation in medium or low flame only.
5. No one string consistency is required, just 1/2 string or slightly thick consistency is enough.
6. Don't boil, for longer time else the rose syrup crystallizes on cooling.
7. To avoid crystallization of rose syrup, 2 to 3 drops of lemon juice can be added at last.
8. Also, don't add the rose essence before the sugar syrup cools down, else the rose syrup tastes bitter.
9. The shelf life of this rose syrup is 2 to 3 months under refrigeration when stored in a clean container.
For Rose Milk Recipe
1. Use boiled and cold milk for more taste.
2. Use full-fat milk / full cream milk for more yumminess.
3. Normal Milk can be replaced with almond milk/soy milk or even skimmed milk. But everything gives a different taste.
4. Adjust rose syrup and sugar level as per your preference.
Method for Rose Milk Recipe
1. First, get ready with the ingredients. In a heavy-bottomed pan add sugar, then pour water over it.
2. Boil it in medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, until sugar dissolves and bubbles start to appear. Once the syrup starts to slightly thicken, add food colour and stir well.
3. Boil for few more seconds, till sticky consistency is reached (that is 1/2 string). No one string consistency is required. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool. Now add rose essence and mix well. Store it in an airtight and clean container.
4. In a bowl, pour boiled and chilled milk. Then add rose syrup, mix well and finally add ice cubes.
Serve this rose milk chilled.