A simple alteration to our usual coconut chutney is this red chilli coconut chutney. Whenever I am bored of the regular Thengai chutney, my immediate next option jumps to this red coconut chutney, as the combination of red chilli and garlic used here is always a winner. For a change, I have added shallots in tempering which takes the chutney to the next level, but it is not a must. It tastes amazing with all the breakfast items like idli, plain dosa, pongal, vermicelli upma etc…..
Red Chilli Coconut Chutney | Red Coconut Chutney
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
- 3 to 4 Red Chilli
- 2 tbsp Channa Dal
- 1 Small Piece Tamarind
- 2 to 3 Pods Garlic
- Salt As Required
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 Pinch Hing
- 2 Shallots Optional
- 2 tsp Oil
- First measure and keep all the dry ingredients ready. If preferred, chop shallots finely for tempering. To a small tadka pan, pour 1/2 tsp of oil, add red chilli and channa dal. Fry it till golden colour and let it cool a bit.
- In a mixer, grate 1/2 cup of coconut. Then add roasted red chilli, channa dal, tamarind and garlic pods.
- Add required salt, pour water little by little and grind it to a smooth paste.
- In a small tadka pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add urad dal, curry leaves and hing.
1. Use fresh and tender coconut for tasty red chilli coconut chutney.
2. Frozen grated coconut or desiccated coconut can also be used. But it wont tastes good like fresh ones.
3. If using frozen coconut, thaw for sometime and then use it.
4. Garlic pods can be replaced with a small piece of ginger. But don’t use both at the same time.
5. Instead of channa dal, fried gram (pottukadalai) can be used. Fried gram needs no frying, use it directly.
6. Don’t skip tamarind, as it enhances the taste of this red coconut chutney .
7. Use very little water for thick version. Add more for watery version but increase the chilli quantity.
8. Adjust red chilli level as per spiciness required.
9. Addition of shallots in tempering is optional, but it gives nice taste and crunchiness while eating.
10. Also add curry leaves and hing generously in tempering, as it lends a wonderful aroma.
11. This chutney stays good for 2 days under refrigeration.