A simple dish that is prepared with less oil and not heavy on the tummy. The main tip to get the perfect texture of the dish is to cook the raw banana till 3/4 only and use a grater with big holes. You can use turmeric powder for a bright look and replace raw banana with half cooked potato too. It’s a perfect side dish with Garlic Kuzhambu, Vatha Kuzhambu and Mochai Kuzhambu too. Finally, I have shared this Vazhakkai Podimas Recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video too. If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Check my other Interesting Recipes like
- 2 Nos Raw Banana
- 10 Nos Shallots
- 4 Nos Green Chilli
- 6 Flakes Garlic
- 1 Small Piece Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
- Salt As Required
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready for tempering. Then chop shallots, garlic, ginger finely and also slit green chilli. Pressure cook raw banana with the immersed level of water for just 1 whistle only, don't cook furthermore, else it cannot be grated.
Peel the skin of raw banana and grate it, also use a grater with big holes.
Heat oil in a pan and temper with the ingredients given in the table 'To Temper'. Then add shallots, ginger, garlic and green chilli. Saute everything till transparent and nice smell wafts.
Add the grated raw banana, required salt and cook for 3 minutes in low flame.
Switch off the flame, add grated coconut and mix everything well.
Serve this Vazhakkai Podimas Recipe with Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu.
Tips for Vazhakkai Podimas Recipe
- Use firm and fresh raw banana, so it will be easy to cook and grate.
- Also, cook the raw banana in a pressure cooker, just for 1 whistle only. If cooked more, it will be difficult to grate and becomes mushy.
- Raw banana can be cooked in an open pot too: fill the pot / pan with water. Once it starts to roll boil, add the raw banana and cook till 3/4th only.
- Use a grater, with bigger holes for a nice look. If you don't have a grater in hand, peel the skin of the raw banana and mash it slightly with your fingers.
- Tempering can be done with coconut oil too, it adds a nice flavour to the Vazhakkai Podimas Recipe.
- Use shallots only for a very good taste, never use regular onions.
- Addition of garlic, ginger lends a nice flavour and helps in digestion.
- Adjust green chilli as per spice level required, if preferred red chilli can be used for tempering.
- Even 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder can be added for a colourful Raw Banana Podimas Recipe.
- Don't reduce grated coconut, as it is the main ingredient which adds a nice taste to the podimas.