If you are looking for some simple sidedish to prepare in the busy mornings, then this raw banana fry recipe is the best choice. The spices can be altered as per your taste buds and you can prepare it as no onion, no garlic recipe also. I usually prepare this vazhakkai fry recipe atleast once in a week for my kids lunch box and it goes very well with curd rice, lemon rice and all sambar varieties.
If interested check out my other Sidedish recipes
If you are looking for some simple sidedish to prepare in the busy mornings, then this raw banana fry recipe / Vazhakkai Fry Recipe is the best choice.
- 2 Raw Banana
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Sambar Powder Link for sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp Jeera Powder Optional
- Salt As Required
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Flakes Garlic Optional
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 Pinch Hing
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
Trim the edges of raw banana and peel the skin. Then slice it into very thin pieces.
Rinse well in water for 2 to 3 times. Immerse the sliced pieces in water until use to avoid de-colouration. Then measure and keep all the other ingredients ready also crush garlic flakes.
To a wide bowl, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, sambar powder, jeera powder and salt. Drain the water completely from the raw banana, put it in the bowl and just give a gentle mix.
Pour 2 tsp of oil and mix again (Oil helps in binding of spice powders to the veggie). Keep aside for 5 minutes, so the veggie absorbs the spice powders well.
To a tawa / shallow pan, pour oil and temper with all the ingredients listed in the table 'To Temper'. Then arrange the raw banana pieces in the pan.
Pour little oil and cook covered for 2 to 3 minutes in very low flame.
Tips for Vazhakkai Fry
1. Select unripe and firm raw banana so the pieces wont get broken while cooking.
2. Always slice the pieces very thin, therefore it gets cooked easily.
3. Also keep the sliced pieces immersed in water till use to avoid de-colouration.
4. Sambar powder can be replaced with garam masala powder / chole masala powder also.
5. Addition of garlic flakes and jeera powder is optional, but it adds extra flavour to the dish.
6. Adjust chilli powder as per spiciness required for this raw banana fry recipe.
7. Addition of oil while marinating helps in binding of spice powders and veggie well.
8. If preferred, 1 onion can be used when tempering. On the other hand, you can do it as no onion – no garlic recipe
9. For more crispiness, 2 tsp of rice flour can be added along with other spice powders.
10. Use cast iron / non – stick pan to get well roasted vazhakkai fry recipe.