Rava Idli Recipe is the most famous breakfast recipe in Karnataka cuisine. It is also eaten as sidedish during lunch or evening time tiffin. The history of the rava idli is connected with the popular chain of restaurant Mavalli Tiffin Rooms of Bangalore, claims to have invented it and a specialty food in MTR. Even a small restaurant in Karnataka have this rava idli recipe in their menu card. Though i used to prepare this rava idli at home, I mostly prefer to go to MTR restaurant in Lalbagh Road, Bangalore where so many leaders had their breakfast here.
Rava Idli Recipe | Rava Idli
Preparation + Cook Time: 25 minutes | Makes: 8 to 10
- Rava / Sooji – 1 cup
- Curd – 1/2 cup
- Eno Salt / Baking Soda – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Water – 1/2 Cup
- Cashews – For Garnishing
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 5 to 6 (broken)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (Chopped Finely)
- Green Chilli – 1 Chopped Finely
- Carrot – 1/4 Cup Grated
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Hing – 1 Generous Pinch
- Oil / Ghee – 1 tblsp
1. Chop green chilli, ginger finely and grate carrot. Also break cashews into pieces and keep by side. In a pan heat 1 tblsp of oil / ghee and temper with the ingredients listed in the table ‘To Temper’.
2. Now add carrot and saute till the raw smell leaves. Then add rava and roast for 2 to 3 minutes, but don’t burn it.
3. Once it cools down, add sour curd , coriander leaves, salt and mix well.
4. Pour required quantity of water, it should be in the idli batter consistency. Leave it for 20 minutes. Then add eno salt and give a quick stir. The batter becomes frothy immediately. After adding eno salt, don’t give resting time.
5. Grease an idli plate with little oil, keep 1 cashew, little grated carrot in each mould and pour the batter. Steam it for 8 to 10 minutes. Prick it with a knife or spoon in the middle and if it comes clean it is done.
Delicious rava idli is ready and serve it with coconut chutney or saagu.
1. I added ginger which adds more flavour, but its optional only.
2. For spiciness, 1 tsp of green chilli paste can be added.
3. Always use sour curd only for this rava idli recipe.
4. A pinch of turmeric powder can be added if you want your idli to be colourful.
5. Eno salt gives a porus texture to the idli as you get in hotels.
6. Baking soda can also be used instead of eno salt.
7. After adding eno salt, don’t give resting time to the idli batter.
8. For variation, grated coconut can also be added to the mould along with cashew while steaming.
9. Tempering the ingredients with ghee gives good taste.
Leave a Reply