As Karthigai Deepam festival is nearing, I feel it is the right time to post this rava appam recipe. I have already shared wheat flour appam and nei appam in my blog. This sweet sooji paniyaram recipe is more simpler, as no grinding work is required, also you can try this same recipe with sugar too. The addition of ripe banana yields more pillow soft and flavourful appams. Ok, let’s go the preparation…..
1. Soak the sooji for minimum 1/2 an hour and if there is water left out, drain it completely.
2. Maida / All purpose flour can be substituted with wheat flour also.
3. For different taste, jaggery can be replaced with sugar. This is an instant version as no melting work is required.
4. Adjust jaggery level as per sweetness preferred for this sweet sooji paniyaram recipe .
5. The batter consistency should be like dosa batter, not too thick or watery.
6. If the batter is thick, the appams turn hard, add very little water to dilute it.
7. If the batter is watery, the appam absorbs more ghee. Add 1 tbsp of maida to troubleshoot.
8. Adding banana lends spongy appam, also use ripe banana only.
9. Don’t add cooking soda more than mentioned and also add it just before cooking.
10. This rava appam recipe can be deep fried in oil. If deep frying, fry it one by one.
11. Ensure the pan is hot enough, so the appams wont stick to the pan.
12. Always cook the appam in low flame, otherwise it doesn’t get cooked inside.