Rajma Masala Recipe with step by step pictures and a short YouTube video. This Rajma curry recipe is a two in one side dish, as it pairs well with both chapati and rice. I usually prepare this gravy in large batch for lunch, cook some rice and make it as rajma chawal combo and I use the leftover gravy for dinner with hot phulka. This is really a healthy and nutritious gravy recipe from the Punjabi cuisine. Ok, let’s hop to the recipe
Checkout my youtube video for this recipe
- 1 Cup Rajma Beans / Red Kidney Beans
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder Link for garam masala
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi Leaves (Optional)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cream (Optional)
- Salt To Taste
- 2 Onion
- 3 Tomato
- 4 Pods Garlic
- 1 Inch Piece Ginger
- 1 tbsp Oil / Butter Link for butter
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1 Piece Cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
First, chop onion, tomato, ginger and garlic roughly. Then measure and keep all the other ingredients ready.
Soak rajma beans in enough water for 8 hours or overnight. Then rinse well for 3 times. Add little salt and pour 2 cups of water. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Then measure and keep the tempering ingredients by side.
Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add onion, ginger, garlic and saute till it turns translucent. Then add tomato and saute till mushy.
Once it cools down, transfer it to a mixer. Pour 1/2 cup of water and grind it to a smooth paste.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and temper with the ingredients listed in the table 'To Temper'. Then pour the grounded onion - tomato paste.
Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and together with coriander powder.
Then add garam masala and required salt.
Cook covered for 7 to 8 minutes in low flame, till the raw smell leaves and oil separates. Now add the cooked rajma beans.
Tips for Rajma curry recipe
2. In addition to that ensure rajma beans is properly cooked and it is soft.
3. Red rajma beans gets cooked faster, but I used regular ones only.
5. Instead of grinding onion and tomato, it can be finely chopped and used too.
6. For quick version, finely chopped onion and tomato puree can be used, other steps are same.
7. Even little mashed rajma beans can be added at last, to get more volume and thickness in the gravy.
8. Furthermore, for more flavour, kasuri methi leaves can be used. But I used coriander leaves only.