Raisin water for babies and kids with stepwise pics & a short Youtube video. If you like my video, please do SUBSCRIBE to my channel ‘Asmallbite’. Dry Grapes/Raisins/Kismis/ Munnakka is a popular dry fruit that is a dried form of grapes. This raisin water is an excellent home remedy for constipation in babies and kids, where raisins are soaked overnight and the juice is given to babies and kids the next day morning on an empty stomach which gives good relief by slowly reducing hard stool. It is an age-old method our grannies used to treat constipation in babies and when it comes to babies, including dry fruits in their diet is a good way to provide the essential nutrients they may not get from other foods. So, feeding your baby raisins is highly recommended during his growth years. But, you can’t just feed your baby raisins when you introduce him to solids, there is a right time you must do it and with precautions. Older kids (1+ years), can chew the soaked dried grapes and drink the soaked water to get the full fiber content in it. But it’s always good to start with other food (including water) only after the baby completes 6 months, so this raisin water can be given to babies only after 6 months. Still in case if you have started baby food in 4 months itself, then this is suitable to feed after 3 months. Even when there are no constipation issues, raisins water is a good practice for kids to have as the first food in the morning for proper bowel movement, but avoid it on the days when they have loose motion. Even, Pregnant ladies and normal adults too can have these soaked raisins along with water daily on empty stomach to kick out constipation problems. If interested, check my recipe for Apple Juice for Baby Constipation.
✔ About the Recipe
- An excellent home remedy for constipation in babies and kids, also a good way to provide the essential nutrients they may not get from other foods.
- Easy to prepare
- Best home remedy
- Not allergic
- No side effects
✔ HEALTH BENEFITS OF RAISINS
- Potassium in raisins helps balance the salt content in our body and regulates blood pressure.
- Rich in vitamin B, C and help boost immunity.
- It is rich in iron, which could help prevent the risk of anemia.
- Soothes the bowel movements.
- High in fiber and they act as natural laxatives when soaked in water.
✔ How to select raisins/dry grapes?
- Always choose organic dried grapes/raisins for babies which are sulfate-free. Also, both black and golden raisins can be used.
✔ How to soak the raisins?
- Let them soak for 4 to 5 hours or overnight in clean, boiled, and then cooled water.
✔ When to include/introduce Raisins in your Baby’s Diet?
- It can be included in babies diet from 6 months. At first, give as dry grapes puree/ juice/ raisins water. Once the baby starts chewing well, feed with mashed/crushed/ chopped raisins as a finger food or mashed raisins along with other food portions, as a natural sweetener.
✔ How Many Raisins Should You Give Your Baby?
- Raisins are high in sugars so recommended in small portions only per day. Initially, feeding 1-2 tbsp of raisin juice per day is sufficient. This can gradually be increased to 2-3 tbsp of juice per day. Once the baby is over 1 year of age, 2-3 tbsp of mashed or chopped raisins can be given.
✔ Is Giving Raisins to Babies Safe?
- It is very good for the baby’s health. However, since these are small in size, there is always the risk of a baby choking on them. Incorporating raisins into the baby’s diet in other forms can work well. With a little bit of precaution, giving this food item to babies is not only safe but beneficial for their growth.
✔ Precautions to Take While Feeding Raisins to Your Baby
- Raisins have a sticky and chewy texture, so there is a risk of choking.
- It can either be chopped or mashed and given to the baby. While giving chopped pieces, feed one piece at a time and keep an eye out for any signs of choking.
- Always ensure that the baby eats raisins under the supervision of an adult.
- Developing the habit of brushing after eating can prevent dental problems if there are any bits of raisins stuck in the teeth.
✔ Check my other Baby / Toddler Recipes like
- String Hoppers / Idiyappam
- Millet / Sathu Maavu Ladoo
- Carrot Puree
- Health Mix Powder / Sathu Maavu
- Ragi Idiyappam
Raisin water for babies and kids | Home remedy for constipation
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- ¼ Cup Water As Required
- Measure 1 tbsp of raisins and 1/4 cup of water. I used organic raisins, so used them directly, if using regular ones, rinse them in running water well, to get rid of the traces of chemicals if any.
- In a clean bowl, add the raisins and pour the water.Note: Keep a pan, ladle, mixie jar, bowl, spoon separately for your baby. To ensure hygiene purpose and to avoid any spicy taste or flavor, present in the vessels.
- Keep covered and let it soak for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
- The next day it would have bulged (turns plumpy).
- To a clean mixer, add the bulged raisins with water.
- Grind the raisins smoothly.
- Place a strainer over a vessel and pour the ground raisins with water.
- Strain the raisin water/juice thoroughly and discard the pulp.
- Feed this raisins water to babies on empty stomach in the morning. At first, feed 1 to 2 tsp of juice and gradually increase the quantity.Feed this Raisin water for babies and kids to relieve constipation.
Tips for a Home remedy for constipation
- Try to use organic dried grapes/raisins to avoid chemicals in them.
- If using regular dry grapes, rinse them in the running water well, to get rid of the traces of chemicals if any.
- Also, use a big variety of raisins to get more juice for this Home Remedy for Constipation.
- This Raisin water for babies and Kids can be given directly (after extracting the juice with your hands) instead of grinding them in a mixer/blender.
- Don't add more water while preparing this dry grapes juice if your baby has severe constipation.
- You can also add this dry grapes juice in a little amount to any baby food as a natural sweetener.
- If your baby is 1+ years and if preferred, you can add 1/4 tsp of jaggery, palm sugar, or brown sugar for sweetness.
- For 8+ months babies, if your baby is practiced to eat textured foods, you can hand-squeeze and feed 2 or 3 raisins and then give the soaked water.
- At first, start only with a small quantity and wait for the result. Also, don’t try new foods or home remedies when your baby is ill.
Method for Raisins Water for Babies and Kids
1. Measure 1 tbsp of raisins and 1/4 cup of water. I used organic raisins, so used them directly, if using regular ones, rinse them in running water well, to get rid of the traces of chemicals if any.
2. In a clean bowl, add the raisins and pour the water.
Note: Keep a pan, ladle, mixie jar, bowl, spoon separately for your baby. To ensure hygiene purpose and to avoid any spicy taste or flavor, present in the vessels.
3. Keep covered and let it soak for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
4. The next day it would have bulged (turns plumpy).
5. To a clean mixer, add the bulged raisins with water.
6. Grind the raisins smoothly.
7. Place a strainer over a vessel and pour the ground raisins with water.
8. Strain the raisin water/juice thoroughly and discard the pulp.
9. Feed this raisins water to babies on empty stomach in the morning. At first, feed 1 to 2 tsp of juice and gradually increase the quantity.
Feed this Raisin water for babies and kids as a home remedy for constipation.
1. Mothers Milk is best for babies but you can give additional pureed or mashed foods from 6+ months.
2. Before introducing any food, consult your Pediatrician.
3. Ensure your baby is allergic-free when introducing new allergens like cow’s milk, nuts, wheat, eggs, soy, some specific veggies, etc.
4. Always, introduce new foods in small portions and wait for the result. Also, don’t try new foods when your baby is ill.
5. Never feed 2 to 3 new foods at the same time. Try to introduce each food separately.
6. Also, don’t use white sugar or salt until 8+ months.
7. Keep a pan, ladle, mixie jar, bowl, spoon separately for your baby. To ensure hygiene purpose and to avoid any spicy taste or flavor, present in the vessels.
Leave a Reply