This Instant Murukku Recipe is absolutely a perfect one for the last minute Diwali preparation. It can be made in an ease and tastewise the only word I can say is just ‘Yummmmmm’. This is the last post I posting in the Diwali series and check my other recipes like Thenkuzhal, Maida Murukku, Butter Murukku too. Also, I have shared this Pottukadalai Murukku Recipe with step by step pics and a short youtube video and if you like it, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Instant Murukku Recipe / Pottukadalai Murukku Recipe is absolutely a perfect for the last minute Diwali preparation. It can be made in an ease.
- 1 Cup Rice Flour
- 1/4 Cup Fried Gram Flour
- 1 tsp Black Sesame Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 Generous Pinch Hing
- 1 tbsp Hot Oil
- Salt As Required
- Oil For deep frying
- Water As Needed
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Then, add fried gram / pottukadalai to a dry mixer, grind it to a fine powder and sieve it once.
- To a wide bowl, add 1 cup of rice flour, fried gram flour, sesame seeds, hing, salt and hot oil.
- Then pour water little by little and start kneading the dough. It should be soft and not stiff else it will be hard to press. Keep the dough covered till you finish, to avoid drying.
- Grease the press with little oil, then take a portion of the dough and stuff it into the murukku presser. I used Thenkuzhal achu / dye for making this murukku. You can use mullu murukku achu too. Take a ladle and make swirls at the back side, this method gives a good shape. If you have experience, make swirls directly in the oil itself.
- Heat oil in a kadai and check the temperature by dropping a small piece of the dough. If it raises immediately, then the oil temperature is perfect. Then drop it gently in the oil, just 3 or 4 at a time, accordingly to the size of the kadai.
- Fry in medium flame on both sides, till golden colour and the shhhh sound, ceases. Repeat the same with the remaining dough. Drain it in a kitchen towel. The oil gets absorbed by time, pour a little and fry again.
Check my youtube video too for this Instant Murukku Recipe and please don't forget to subscribe to my channel.
Enjoy this Pottukadalai Murukku Recipe with Carrot Halwa.
Tips for Pottukadalai Murukku Recipe
1. Sieve the fried gram flour once or twice. Otherwise, continuous swirls cannot be made and the murukku breaks.
2. Sesame can be replaced with the same quantity of ajwain / omam or jeera too.
3. Don’t add hot oil more than mentioned, else the murukku dissolves in the oil while frying itself.
4. Hot oil can be replaced with softened butter too for this pottukadalai murukku recipe.
5. Always keep the dough covered to avoid drying. If preparing in bulk do it in batches.
6. Ensure the oil is hot enough when dropping the murukku, else it absorbs more oil.
7. If the murukku breaks while making swirls, sprinkle little water in the dough, knead again and proceed.
8. Always fry the murukku in medium flame, so it gets evenly cooked.
9. Oil gets absorbed by time, so pour enough oil and fry again.
10. The shelf life of this Instant Murukku Recipe is 10 days when stored in clean and airtight containers.