Potato Sagu Recipe also called as Bombay Sagu recipe is more or less similar to our usual poori masala. But the difference is the addition of besan flour which lends an unique taste and a creamier texture to the dish. It is another delicacy from the Karnataka cuisine, it also goes very well with Rava Idli, Idiyappam, Poori, Plain dosa and Chapati too
Potato Sagu Recipe | Bombay Sagu Recipe
- 1/4 Kg Potato
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 to 3 Green Chilli
- 1 Small Piece Ginger
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Handful Green Peas Optional
- 1 tbsp Besan Flour
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt - As Required
- Lemon To Squeeze (Optional)
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Channa Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Generous Pinch Hing
- Chop onion lengthwise, slit green chilli, crush ginger and chop tomato.
- Pressure cook potato for 3 to 4 whistles. Once the pressure subsides by itself remove the skin and mash the potato well. Mix besan flour with little water, there should be no lumps.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with the items listed in the table 'To Temper '. Then add green chilli and crushed ginger and saute till the raw smell leaves.
- Now add onion and saute till it turns translucent. Then add tomato and saute until mushy.
- Pour besan flour water and mix everything well.
- Add turmeric powder and required salt. Give a boil in low flame for 3 to 4 minutes, till the raw smell of besan flour leaves. Then add mashed potato.
- Give a mix and add green peas.
- Cook covered in medium flame for 5 minutes, till the sagu reaches semi - thick consistency. Do stir in the middle, as it thickens soon and the besan mixture sticks to the bottom. Switch off flame, garnish with coriander leaves and if preferred squeeze lemon juice. Serve this potato sagu recipe with instant onion rava dosa.
1. Adjust green chilli as per spice level required for this Bombay sagu recipe.
2. Instead of ginger, ready made ginger paste can be used.
3. Don’t skip ginger, as it helps to relieve from the gastric troubles created by potato.
4. If preferred, little jeera / cumin seeds can be added in tempering, which enhances the flavour and helps in digestion.
5. Addition of besan flour is a must, as it gives nice taste and creamy texture.
6. Instead of besan flour, 1 tbsp fried gram flour can also be used.
7. For a different taste and colour, 1 tsp of red chilli powder can be added, but reduce the green chilli.
8.I used frozen green peas, if using fresh ones cook for more time. But peas can be skipped also
9. After adding besan flour, stir continuously as it thickens soon and it stick to the bottom.
10. After adding besan flour, ensure it is boiled well till the raw smell leaves.
11. If the potato sagu recipe is watery, little more besan flour can be added, but boil well again.