Podi Idli recipe / How to make Podi idli with step by step pictures and a short youtube video. If you like my video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel. It is a yummy and simple dish made with the two main ingredients, idli and idli millagai podi, that is easily available in our kitchen. If you have fussy kids at home, who hate to eat idli’s, then this recipe is a sure treat for them. We can deviate from this recipe by adjusting the spices and make it healthy by adding more vegetables. Also, we have the utmost satisfaction and happiness by making our kids eat idlis and veggies in one go. This is an easy kid lunch box recipe and it worked out a lot at my home with my kids also.
Podi Idli Recipe | How to make Podi Idli
- 30 Mini Idli Link for mini idli
- 1.5 tbsp Idli Podi Link for idli millagai podi
- 2 tsp Gingelly Oil (for tossing the idli's)
- 1 Onion Small
- 1 Green Chilli
- 3 tbsp Carrot
- 1 tbsp Capsicum
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Link for ginger garlic paste
- 8 to 10 Cashews
- 1 tsp Ghee (For frying cashews) Link for Homemade ghee
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (For Garnishing)
- Salt To Taste
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 3 tsp Oil
- Chop onion, capsicum, green chilli and grate the carrot. In a pan, fry cashews with ghee and keep by side.
- In the same pan, pour oil and temper with all the ingredients with items listed in the table 'To Temper'.
- Now add onions, saute till it turns transparent. Then add ginger garlic paste, capsicum, carrot and saute till the raw smell of the veggies leaves. Add salt.
Tips for how to make pod idli1. Adjust idli millagai podi as per your spice level.
2. If you have regular idli's in hand, cube them and use it.
3. Left over idli's can also be used.
4. Use gingelly oil only for tossing the idli's with podi which adds a nice flavour.
5. Cashews can be replaced with roasted peanuts.
6. Veggies choice is purely optional, beans, green peas, sweet corn kernels etc can also be added.
7. For more spiciness 1/4 tsp of pepper powder can be added at last.
8. Lemon juice gives a nice restaurant taste to this podi idli recipe.
Method for Podi Idli Recipe
1. Grease the mini idli mould with oil and pour the idli batter. Steam it for 5 to 7 minutes, cool it for a while and demould the idlis. In a mixing bowl, take the idli’s, add little gingelly oil, idli millagai podi and toss well.
2. Chop onion, capsicum, green chilli and grate the carrot. In a pan, fry cashews with ghee and keep by side.
3. In the same pan, pour oil and temper with all the ingredients with items listed in the table ‘To Temper‘.
4. Now add onions, saute till it turns transparent. Then add ginger garlic paste, capsicum, carrot and saute till the raw smell of the veggies leaves. Add salt.
5. Add the mini idli’s and toss well without breaking it. Mix slowly until the idli’s and the veggies blend together. Finally, add the cashews and garnish with coriander leaves. If preferred squeeze lemon juice on top.
Serve this podi idly hot.