Podi Idli recipe is yummy and simple dish made with the two main ingredients, idli and idli millagai podi, that is easily available in our kitchen. If you have fussy kids at home, who hate to eat idli’s, then this recipe is a sure treat for them. We can deviate this recipe by adjusting the spices and make it healthy by adding more vegetables. Also we have the utmost satisfaction and happiness by making our kids eat idli’s and veggies in one go. This is an easy kids lunch box recipe and it worked out a lot at my home with my kids also.
Podi Idli Recipe | Podi Idli
- Mini Idli – 30
- Idli Podi – 1.5 tblsp
- Gingelly Oil – 2tsp (for tossing the idli’s)
- Onion – 1 small
- Green Chilli – 1
- Carrot – 3 tblsp
- Capsicum – 1 tblsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 8 to 10
- Ghee – 1 tsp (for frying cashews)
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp (optional)
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp (for garnishing)
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 3 tsp
1. Grease the mini idli mould with oil and pour the idli batter. Steam it for 5 to 7 minutes, cool it for a while and demould the idli’s. In a mixing bowl, take the idli’s, add little gingelly oil, idli millagai podi and toss well.
2. Chop onion, capsicum, green chilli and grate carrot. In a pan, fry cashews with ghee and keep by side.
3. In the same pan, pour oil and temper with all the ingredients with items listed in the table ‘To Temper’.
4. Now add onions, saute till it turns transparent. Then add ginger garlic paste, capsicum, carrot and saute till the raw smell of the veggies leaves. Add salt.
5. Add the mini idli’s and toss well without breaking it. Mix slowly until the idli’s and the veggies blend together. Finally add the cashews and garnish with coriander leaves. If preferred squeeze lemon juice on top.
Serve it hot.
1. Adjust idli millagai podi as per your spice level.
2. If you have regular idli‘s in hand, cube them and use it.
3. Left over idli’s can also be used.
4. Use gingelly oil only for tossing the idli’s with podi which adds a nice flavour.
5. Cashews can be replaced with roasted peanuts.
6. Veggies choice is purely optional, beans, green peas, sweet corn kernels etc can also be added.
7. For more spiciness 1/4 tsp of pepper powder can be added at last.
8. Lemon juice gives a nice restaurant taste to this podi idli recipe.