Podi Idli recipe is a yummy and simple dish made with the two main ingredients, idli and idli millagai podi, that is easily available in our kitchen. If you have fussy kids at home, who hate to eat idli’s, then this recipe is a sure treat for them. We can deviate from this recipe by adjusting the spices and make it healthy by adding more vegetables. Also, we have the utmost satisfaction and happiness by making our kids eat idlis and veggies in one go. This is an easy kid lunch box recipe and it worked out a lot at my home with my kids also.
- 30 Mini Idli Link for mini idli
- 1.5 tbsp Idli Podi Link for idli millagai podi
- 2 tsp Gingelly Oil (for tossing the idli's)
- 1 Onion Small
- 1 Green Chilli
- 3 tbsp Carrot
- 1 tbsp Capsicum
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Link for ginger garlic paste
- 8 to 10 Cashews
- 1 tsp Ghee (for frying cashews)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (for Garnishing)
- Salt To Taste
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 3 tsp Oil
Chop onion, capsicum, green chilli and grate the carrot. In a pan, fry cashews with ghee and keep by side.
In the same pan, pour oil and temper with all the ingredients with items listed in the table 'To Temper'.
Now add onions, saute till it turns transparent. Then add ginger garlic paste, capsicum, carrot and saute till the raw smell of the veggies leaves. Add salt.
Tips for Podi Idli Recipe
1. Adjust idli millagai podi as per your spice level.
2. If you have regular idli‘s in hand, cube them and use it.
3. Left over idli’s can also be used.
4. Use gingelly oil only for tossing the idli’s with podi which adds a nice flavour.
5. Cashews can be replaced with roasted peanuts.
6. Veggies choice is purely optional, beans, green peas, sweet corn kernels etc can also be added.
7. For more spiciness 1/4 tsp of pepper powder can be added at last.
8. Lemon juice gives a nice restaurant taste to this podi idli recipe.