Phirni Recipe / Firni Recipe / How To Make Phirni, a creamy dessert, it tastes divine when served chilled. It is prepared on most of the festive occasions like Holi, Lohri, Karwa Chauth, Ramzan, Eid, Baisakhi, Diwali etc. Phirni and Milk Kheer are more or less similar, where Phirni is made with grounded rice and Milk Kheer is prepared with whole rice. Also, Phirni is set in small earthen pots called Shikoras, then served chilled whereas Milk Kheer is served hot or warm. This is the basic version but there are other flavours like Mango Phirni, Kesar Phirni, Rose Phirni too. Finally, do watch the video, If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Check my other Holi Recipes like
- 2.5 Cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 5 to 6 Strands Saffron
- 1/2 tsp Cardamon Powder
- 10 Almonds
- 5 Pistachious
First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. Then blanch the almonds, pistachios and sliver / chop it finely. Also, soak saffron in little warm milk.
Rinse the basmati rice well and drain the water. Add the rice to a mixer and grind it to a coarse paste, it should be like fine rava / sooji. If needed, add very little water and grind, but never grind it to a smooth paste.
Boil the milk in a heavy bottom pan for 5 minutes and add the grounded rice. Simmer the flame for 15 minutes, stir it in the middle, to avoid burning at the bottom and rice lumps. By the time, the milk shrinks in volume and the grounded rice would have cooked. Add the sugar and stir well till it dissolves completely.
Add saffron strands and cardamom powder.
Switch off the flame and add the chopped nuts. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours and then serve it chilled.
Try this Phirni Recipe for this Holi Festival.
Tips for How to make Phirni Recipe
- Use full-fat milk for a rich and creamy Phirni Recipe.
- I used Basmati Rice as it lends a nice aroma, if you don't have it in hand, go with Sona Masoori Rice.
- Soak the rice for a minimum time of 30 minutes, so you get perfect coarse rice after grinding.
- If you are in a hurry or want to quicken the process, soak the rice in hot water for 15 minutes.
- The grounded rice should be like fine rava / sooji in texture. Never grind it to a paste.
- Always cook in low flame, also stir it in the middle to avoid burning at the bottom and rice lumps.
- Adjust sugar as per sweetness required for this Firni Recipe.
- Refrigerate it for a minimum time of 2 hours, as it tastes good when served chilled.
- It stays good for 2 days under refrigeration.