As Navaratri festival is nearing, I sharing the most simple Peanut Sundal recipe with step by step detailed pictures. For me Navratri means “Golu” and Golu means “sundal“. In my hometown Trichy – Srirangam, golu is kept in almost all the houses and for all the 9 days it is celebrated in a very traditional way with different variety of prasadams. I always have a craze for peanuts, I think you all know that as I have already shared peanut chaat, masala peanuts, kadalai mittai etc …, so another reason for me to use peanuts in the name of Verkadalai sundal recipe. So, straightaway to the recipe….
If interested check out my other sundal recipes….
- Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal
- Sprouted Green Gram Sundal
- Green Peas Sundal
- Chickpea Sundal
- Black Channa Sundal
As Navaratri festival is nearing, I am sharing the most simple Peanut Sundal recipe/ Verkadalai Sundal Recipe with step by step detailed pictures.
- 1 Cup Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- Salt As Required
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 2 to 3 Red Chilli
- 2 Generous pinch Hing
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
Soak peanuts in water for 1 hour. Rinse well, add very little salt (addition of salt avoids overcooking) and water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles, not more else the peanuts become mushy. Drain the water and keep by side.
Keep all the ingredients ready. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add urad dal, red chilli and curry leaves.
Now add hing, cooked peanuts and salt (half quantity only, as we have added already). Mix well and cook for a while, till all the water evaporates.
Switch off flame, add grated coconut and mix everything well.
Peanut sundal is ready, serve it for Navratri festival as a prasadam.
Tips for Verkadalai Sundal Recipe
1. If using fresh peanuts, there is no need to soak in water, just pressure cook it directly.
2. Addition of salt, while pressure cooking peanuts, prevents overcooking.
3. Adjust red chilli, as per spice level preferred for this peanut sundal recipe.
4. For more flavour,1 small piece of ginger can be grinded along with coconut and added. It helps in digestion also.
5. Tempering can be done in coconut oil, which gives nice taste to this Verkadalai sundal recipe.
6. Add hing and curry leaves generously, which lends more aroma to the sundal.