This Peanut Rice recipe / Verkadalai Sadam is prepared from roasted peanuts, red chilli’s and dry coconut grinded into powder. As all of us know peanuts are protein rich, it is a best kids friendly dish and an easy lunch box recipe also. I prefer this rice for its simplicity with a burst of flavours and as pongal festival is nearby, it would be useful for kaanum pongal rice varieties.
1. I used basmati rice, any rice variety or even left over rice can be used for this verkadalai sadam.
2. Adjust red chilli’s and pepper corns as per your spice level for this peanut rice recipe.
3. I used dry coconut powder. If you are using fresh coconut, roast until all the moisture is absorbed, else it will become a paste / chutney while grinding.
4. This spice powder can be prepared in advance, and can be used whenever required.
5. If preferred peanuts can be grinded with skin also, but I used without the skin.
6. For variation, channa dal, cashews can be used for tempering.
7. For more flavour 2 garlic pods can be used while tempering.