Thogayal takes an important place in Tamilnadu cuisine, it pairs well with lemon rice, tamarind rice and sometimes a small portion is kept with the full lunch spread too. I usually prepare this paruppu thogayal recipe / paruppu thuvayal recipe with tomato rasam, pepper rasam and believe me it tastes tongue smacking. Sometimes if I want to make the meal quick and simple, my first preference is this combo only…..
Thogayal takes an important place in Tamilnadu cuisine. I usually prepare this paruppu thogayal recipe / paruppu thuvayal recipe with tomato rasam, pepper rasam and believe me it tastes tongue smacking.
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 4 Red Chilli
- 1 Small Tamarind Piece
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 4 Pods Garlic
- Salt As Required
- 1 tsp Oil
First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. In a pan, add 1 tsp of oil and roast toor dal till golden colour.
Then add tamarind, red chilli and roast again. Ensure not to burn anything.
Switch off the flame, add grated coconut and give a quick stir. Let it cool down. Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer, add garlic pods and required salt.
Finally, pour very little water and grind it to a smooth/coarse paste. Adjust water accordingly to the thickness of the thogayal preferred.
Serve this paruppu thuvaiyal recipe with paruppu urundai kuzhambu.
2. Ensure not to burn the toor dal, when roasting, else the thogayal tastes bitter.
3. Furthermore, for a longer shelf life, skip grated coconut and go ahead with the other ingredients.
4. Don’t add garlic more than mentioned, otherwise it tastes different with the garlicky flavour dominating.
5. In addition, even 1/2 tsp of pepper corns can be roasted and grinded with other ingredients.
6. If preferred, 2 generous pinch of hing can be added, for a different flavour.
7. This paruppu thuvyal recipe, can be mixed with hot rice and eaten. If having with rice, add extra water and grind it little watery.