This Panakam Recipe is prepared usually on Ram Navami, which marks the birth of Lord Rama.The festival is a part of spring navratri and falls on the ninth day of the Chaitra month in the Hindu calendar. I prepare this Panagam Recipe for Thai Poosam and Tamil New Year along with Neer Mor / Spiced butter milk. This panak is a natural and traditional drink, which has so many ayurvedic properties. It is too healthy, tasty, smells so divine and a perfect thirst quencher during summer. To get its health benefits to the fullest, store this in an earthen pot or copper vessel and then serve it,as done in olden days. Not only during festivals, you can prepare this simple drink all through the summer to bring down the body heat. Do try this herbal drink for this Sri Ram Navami which falls on 5th April 2017.
Happy Ram Navami to all
- 1 Cup Jaggery
- 3.5 Cups Water
- 3/4 tsp Dry Ginger Powder / Sukku
- 5 to 6 Cardamom
- 4 to 5 Pepper Corns Optional
- 1 Pinch Edible Camphor
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg Powder (Generous)
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Few Tulsi Leaves / Basil (For Garnishing)
First get ready with the ingredients. Add the jaggery / powdered jaggery to water.
Allow it to dissolve. Strain the liquid to remove impurities. Crush cardamom pods and add it.
Now add dry ginger powder and nutmeg powder to the jaggery liquid.
Now add a pinch of edible camphor and salt. Squeeze lemon juice on top and mix well. Finally garnish with basil leaves .
Serve this panagam chilled.
1. Adjust jaggery as per sweetness preferred for this panagam recipe.
2. Use ‘Paagu Vellam’ for dark coloured panakam.
3. Always filter jaggery water to remove impurities.
4. Don’t skip edible camphor, as it lends a divine smell to the panakam recipe.
5. Also don’t add edible camphor more than mentioned, else the panak taste bitter.
6. Dry ginger powder helps in digestion and adds nice flavour.
7. Addition of nutmeg powder is optional only.
8. For more flavour, 2 cloves can also be added.
9. Whole cardamom can be replaced with 1 tsp of cardamom powder.
10. Addition of salt enhances the sweetness of the drink
11. Either use chilled water or chill it before serving.
12. Always prepare it 2 to 3 hours prior to serving, so the flavours get infused well.
1. Jaggery – As its loaded with antioxidants, boost resistance against infections.
2. Dry Ginger / Sukku – Helps to relieve from common cold, constipation and nausea.
3. Cardamom – Helps to relieve from mouth ulcers, bloating feel and loss of appetite.
4. Nutmeg Powder – Has ability to relieve from pains and improve blood circulation.
5. Pepper Corns – Relief from respiratory disorders and cough
6. Lemon Juice – Aids digestion and promotes hydration.
7. Tulsi / Basil leaves – Reduce the uric acid level in the body and treatment of fever, asthma, stress etc.