This Kara Chutney Recipe / Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe is such a delicious and winning combo with hot steaming idli or crispy paper dosa or even soft uthappam. The only tiring part is peeling the skin of shallots, but it’s worth doing it. The ingredients can be altered as per your taste buds. As this chutney name calls for spicy / kara / hot you can add more red chillie’s also. But I used the right number, as my kids will not touch if it is spicy. This chutney is apt for travelling also, as it don’t get spoiled easily. Else if you are tied up with other works, this chutney can be prepared in bulk quantity and used whenever needed.
1. Adjust red chilli according to your spice level.
2. Instead of small onions, 2 big onions can also be used. But this chutney taste good with small onions.
3. Urad dal can be replaced with 1 tblsp of channa dal.
4. Always ensure that you saute the onions and tomato till the raw smell leaves.
5. You can grind the chutney to a coarse or smooth paste according to your preference.
6. Don’t skip tamarind and add hing generously, which enhances the taste of the chutney.
7. If you don’t like tamarind, 1/2 tomato can be added more for tanginess.
8. Addition of garlic gives a nice aroma to this onion tomato chutney recipe.
9. If preferred 1/4 cup of grated coconut can be used while grinding.
10. Use sesame oil generously which adds excellent taste to this kara chutney recipe.
11. Shelf life of this chutney is 3 to 4 days under refrigeration.