After a long gap, it’s almost about 3 weeks, I never touched my camera and now I feel everything new. I also thank my readers/friends who enquired me about abandoning the blog and about my health too. I was on a vacation to Singapore and Malaysia with my hubby and kids. Though the climate in Singapore and Malaysia is too hot, my kids enjoyed a lot and it was a perfect family time. The food in Singapore was very hygienic, but in Malaysia, it was very difficult to find pure vegetarian restaurants and after reaching Bangalore I got food poison and still more to recover. I think it’s enough of my stories and today I am sharing onion chutney recipe / Easy onion chutney recipe which is a perfect pair for idli/ragi dosa/ven Pongal and even kichadi. The main ingredient required for this chutney is onions and it doesn’t require tomato or coconut. This chutney won’t spoil easily as we don’t use coconut, so it’s always an apt combo for travel too. Also, I have shared this recipe with a short YouTube video, do watch it and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel too.
Onion Chutney Recipe | Easy Onion Chutney Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Small Onion / Shallots
- 1/2 Cup Big Onion / Regular onion
- 5 to 6 Garlic
- 1 Small gooseberry sized Tamarind
- 1/2 tblsp Channa dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 6 to 8 Red chilli
- 1 Small piece Thalippu vadagam Optional
- Salt As Required
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Channa dal & Urad dal
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 Generous Pinch Hing
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 tblsp Oil
- Peel the skin of onions, garlic and wash it well. Get ready with other ingredients. Heat oil in a pan and add onions.
- Then add garlic and tamarind. Saute till onions turn transparent and raw smell leaves. Now add channa dal, urad dal, red chilli and roast it well. Don't burn anything, else the chutney tastes bitter.
- Finally add thalippu vadagam, salt and give a quick mix. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool. Transfer everything to a mixer/blender.
- Grind it to a smooth/coarse paste as per preference. If you need in large quantity, add water and grind it (adjust chilli and salt in that case). Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add channa dal and urad dal.
Tips for Easy Onion Chutney Recipe
1. Any one type of onion can also be used, but I prefer to add atleast little shallots which lends nice taste.
2. As shallots gives sweetness, I usually add a half quantity of regular onion which balances the sweetness.
3. Adjust red chilli as per spiciness preferred for this onion chutney recipe.
4. For vibrant colour, kashmiri chilli / byadagi chilli can be used.
5. For a different taste, chilli can be replaced with 2 tsp of chilli powder.
6. As we don’t use tomatoes, don’t skip tamarind which adds slight tanginess to the chutney.
7. Saute the onions and garlic well to avoid the raw smell.
8. Addition of garlic gives an excellent taste to this easy onion chutney recipe.
9. If you need chutney in large quantity, add water and grind it. But adjust chilli and salt.
10. I used sesame oil / gingelly oil which adds an extra ordinary taste and it is good for health too. But regular oil can also be used.
11. If you don’t have thalippu vadagam in hand feel free to skip it. I used it for an extra aroma.
12. Shelf life of this chutney is 1 week under refrigeration and 3 days when kept outside.