Omapodi is a snack made from besan flour, with the flavour of omam / ajwain, more popular in South India. It is more or less similar to the sev prepared in North India. This is such an easy diwali snacks recipe, which can be prepared in a breeze. This Omapodi recipe is a perfect tea time snack and also doesn’t count too much calories. Omam / Ajwain gives the best and natural remedy for indigestion problems, even for new born babies omam water can be given to relieve from colic pain.
Omapodi | Omapodi Recipe
- 1 Cup Besan Flour / Bengal Gram Flour
- 1/4 Cup Rice Flour
- 2 tsp Omam / Ajwain
- 1.5 tbsp Butter Link for Homemade Butter
- 1 Ladle Hot Oil
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder Optional
- Salt As Required
- Oil For deep frying
- Dry roast omam in a pan. Crush it in a mortor and pestle. Soak the omam in 1/4 of water for 15 minutes.
- Sieve bengal gram and rice flour. Transfer the flour to a mixing bowl. Filter the soaked omam and pour the water over the flour.
- Add butter, hot oil, salt and just mix it. Now add water little by little to form a sticky dough. The dough should not be dry.
- Knead it into a soft pilable dough. Keep the the dough covered with a wet cloth. Use the omapodi achu for preparing the omapodi recipe. Take a portion of dough and stuff it into the murukku presser.
- Heat oil in a kadai, drop a small piece of dough, if it raises, then the oil temperature is right for frying. Press the dough in oil in circles, from sides to center. Don't over do it. Fry in medium flame on both sides, till the bubble ceases in oil, till golden brown. Drain it in kitchen towel. Repeat the same process with remaining dough. Cool down and break it into pieces. Store it in an air tight container.Enjoy this omapodi as a tea time snack.
1. Always sieve both the flours for even mixing.
2. For more flavour, 1/4 tsp of hing powder can be added.
3. Don’t add omam directly to the dough, make it as a powder or soak and use the filtered water.
4. Don’t add too much omam, as it will give bitter taste.
5. Make the dough little sticky if it is dry, it will be difficult to press it.
6. If the dough becomes dry, sprinkle little water.
7. Don’t give resting time for the dough, or else while frying omapodi changes in colour.
8. This omapodi can be used for mixture and other chat recipes.
9. Don’t skip to add hot oil to the dough, as it gives crispiness to the snack.
10. Also don’t add hot oil or butter more than mentioned, else omapodi disintegrates while frying.