This spiced buttermilk recipe / Neer mor recipe is the best and perfect way to cool our body during summer. This is similar to the masala chaas prepared in North India. It is also called as Majjige (Kannada), Sambharam (Malayalam) and Majjiga (Telugu). This Neer Mooru is usually prepared for Ram Navami and Tamil New Year which falls in the month of April (Chithirai) where the summer is in peak. In Tamilnadu during summer season we can see lot of ‘Thaneer panthal’ / water booth where this buttermilk is given free to all people to quench their thirst. I always prefer this traditional drink rather than the aerated fancy bottles sold in shops. It also helps to avoid dehydration and a glass of buttermilk helps to relieve from the bloating feel after a heavy meals. Finally, I have shared this Neer Mor Recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video too. If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
- 2 Cups Thick curd / Yoghurt Link for Homemade curd
- 4.5 Cups Water
- 2 to 3 tsp Coriander Leaves
- Salt As Required
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice Optional
- 2 tsp Jeera
- 2 Green chilli
- 2" Piece Ginger
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 Piece Green Chilli Optional
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 Generous pinch Hing
- 2 tsp Oil
- Pour curd in a large mixing bowl. Chop green chilli, ginger and coriander leaves.
- Dry roast jeera in a tadka pan slightly, don't burn it. In a hand mortar-pestle or mixer, grind jeera, green chilli and ginger.
- Grind it coarsely or to a smooth paste as per preference. Then add it to the butter milk. In a pan, pour oil add mustard seeds and urad dal. Let it splutter.
- Then add green chilli, curry leaves and hing. Once the raw smell leaves, switch off flame and add it to the butter milk.
- Add required salt, lemon juice, coriander leaves and mix well. Either strain it or drink it as such.
Serve this 'Neer Mor Recipe' chilled.