This Mushroom Curry Recipe is quick and delicious dry sabji that can be done within 20 minutes. As all of us know mushrooms are the powerhouse of proteins and it is a quite good alternative for vegetarians. It prevents cancer as it is rich in antioxidants, decreases the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular diseases. This sabji is always a winning combo with Chapati, Poori, Veg Dum Biryani, Coconut Milk Pulao… If interested do check my Chettinad Mushroom Biryani Recipe. I have added a short YouTube video for this Mushroom Masala recipe for easy understanding, do watch it and please don’t forget to subscribe to my channel too…
Mushroom Curry Recipe Mushroom Masala Recipe is quick dry sabji which contains proteins and it is a quite good alternative for vegetarians.
- 200 Gram Mushroom / காளான்
- 1 Onion / வெங்காயம்
- 2 Green Chilli / பச்சை மிளகாய்
- 1 Tomato / தக்காளி
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste / இஞ்சி பூண்டு விழுது Link for ginger - garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள் பொடி
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder / மிளகாய்த்தூள்
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / தனியாதூள்
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder / கரம்மசாலா பொடி Link for garam masala powder
- Salt / உப்பு As Required
- Coriander Leaves / கொத்தமல்லி தழை (For Garnishing)
- 1 tbsp Oil / எண்ணெய்
- 1 tsp Jeera / ஜீரகம்
- 1 Piece Cinnamon / பட்டை
- 2 Cardamom / ஏலக்காய்
- 3 Cloves / கிராம்பு
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves / கருவேப்பில்லை
First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Then chop onion, tomato and slit green chilli.
Rinse the mushrooms well and slice it into 2 or 3 pieces. Then spread it in a kitchen towel or tissue paper and set aside for 10 minutes. In the meantime, all the extra water would be absorbed. Heat oil in a pan, then add jeera, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and curry leaves. Once nice smell wafts, add onion, green chilli and saute till translucent. Then add ginger - garlic paste.
Now add tomato and saute till mushy. Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder and mix well.
Add sliced mushrooms and coriander powder.
Now add garam masala powder, required salt and mix everything well.
Cook covered for 5 minutes in low flame, no need to add water. The mushrooms itself leaves a lot of water when cooking, just stir it in the middle. Finally, garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve this mushroom masala recipe with aloo paratha.
Tips for Mushroom Curry Recipe
- Firstly, use the fresh mushrooms and firm ones for a good taste. Never use aged, soggy or shrunken mushrooms.
- Do not skip step 2: after rinsing, pat dry the mushrooms for minimum 10 minutes. As this process helps to absorb the extra water content and prevents the mushroom masala recipe from turning mushy.
- For a variation, you can add capsicum, aloo, baby corn, sweet corn, green peas etc. If adding these veggies, first cook it and then add the mushrooms.
- Never pour water and cook this mushroom curry recipe, as it becomes fully mushy. As mushrooms contain a lot of water inside, that is enough for cooking.
- Also, don't overcook the veggie, just cook till soft.
- Adjust green chilli and chilli powder as per spice level required.
- Furthermore, for more flavour and extra spiciness, use 1/2 tsp of crushed pepper powder.