This Moru Curry Recipe is similar to the Tamilnadu style Moru Kuzhambu, but we use coconut oil for tempering, which lends an authentic Kerala taste to the dish. It is mildly spicy, little tangy, goes very well with hot rice and some curry like yam tawa fry, raw banana fry or Onam recipes like beans mezhukkupuratti. I have used coconut in this dish, but you can prepare it without coconut too and also add some veggies like cucumber, ash gourd etc. I have shared this moru kachiyathu / kachiya moru with step by step pics and a short YouTube video, please do check and subscribe to my channel.
This is my last post in the Onam Sadhya Recipes as our neighbouring state is fully flooded and thousands of people waiting for rescue and their daily life has been disrupted. Hope the situation gets better soon.
Moru Curry Recipe | Moru Kachiyathu | Kachiya Moru
- 1 Cup Curd
- 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 5 Shallots / Small Onion
- 1 Small Piece Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt As Required
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Methi Seeds
- 2 Byadagi Chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- First, keep the ingredients separately for grinding. Then chop shallots and ginger finely.
- Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for tempering. To a bowl, pour the curd.
- Pour 2 cups of water to the curd. Whisk it gently, till it turns into buttermilk.
- To a mixer, add grated coconut, green chilli and jeera. Pour 1/4 cup of water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add shallots, ginger and saute till translucent. (If you are not using coconut, directly pour the buttermilk at this stage, but increase chilli in tempering) Now pour the grounded coconut paste.
- Add turmeric powder, required salt and saute for 3 to 4 minutes in low flame. Retain the low flame and pour the buttermilk.
- Don't boil, just smoke should come, else it gets curdled. Heat oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds, methi seeds, jeera and byadagi chilli.
- Finally, add curry leaves and temper it. Pour it over the gravy and mix everything well.Serve this Moru curry recipe with easy Aloo fry.
Tips for Moru Curry Recipe
- Don't use regular onions, use shallots only for a good taste.
- I have made this Moru curry recipe plain, but you can add veggies like raw banana, arbi, ash gourd, cucumber etc.
- Furthermore, for more flavour 4 medium sized garlic pods can be used for this moru kachiyathu dish.
- This kachiya moru recipe can be made with or without coconut too. If skipping coconut, increase 2 red chilli when tempering.
- Don't use fresh curd, I suggest using sour curd.
- Ensure not to boil the buttermilk, just switch off when the smoke comes, else it gets curdled.
- Use coconut oil for tempering which lends a wonderful flavour. Furthermore, do the tempering, at last, so the aroma will be retained for a long time.
- Adjust chilli as per spiciness required. I used byadagi chilli in tempering, which lends a different aroma but regular chilli can also be used.