A very addictive, the most kid’s favourite recipe – Ghee Idli Sambar Recipe or commonly called as 14 Idli Sambar Recipe. There is nothing fancy in this dish, but the cute mini sized Idli’s which the kids are always fond of. The slight difference to be noted is the Idli batter, which we have to grind it little coarse. Ok, lets go the preparation of this Mini Idli Sambar….
Mini Idli Sambar | Ghee Idli Sambar Recipe
For the Mini Idli
- 1 Cup Idli Batter Link for Soft Idli
- Sambar (3 types of tiffin sambar) As Required (Tiffin Sambar/Idli Sambar/HSB Sambar)
For the topping
- 1 Onion
- 2 tbsp Carrot Grated
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- Few drops Ghee Link for homemade ghee
- Mix the idli batter gently and if required, add very little water. Grease the mini idli mould with oil, take little batter in a spoon and fill each mould.
- Pour some water in the idli vessel / pressure cooker (without vent), and place the mini idli stand inside the idli vessel. Close it with the lid provided.
- Scoop out the idli's with a spoon. Take the serving vessel and arrange the idli's.
- Soak the idli's in the sambar for 5 minutes, by the time idli's would have absorbed the sambar very well. If required, pour little more sambar. Garnish with finely chopped onion, coriander leaves and grated carrot. Drizzle ghee on top before serving.Serve this mini idli sambar with a dollop of ghee on top.
Tips for Ghee Idli Sambar Recipe
For the Idli Batter
1. Use fresh idli batter, which lends more taste to this ghee idli sambar.
2. Grind the idli batter little coarse, so the steamed idli will be porous. It helps the idli’s to absorb the sambar very well.
Steaming the Idli
1. Don’t steam the mini idli’s for more than 5 to 6 minutes, else the idli’s turn hard.
2. If you don’t have the mini idli stand, go ahead with the regular idli stand .
3. This idli’s can be steamed in pressure cooker also without the vent.
4. I have given link for 3 types of tiffin sambar, you can use any one variety.
5. Either the idli or the sambar should be very hot, so the idli’s absorb the sambar well.
6. The sambar should not be too thick or watery (medium consistency) else the idli’s wont absorb the sambar properly.
7. Also the don’t soak the idli in the sambar for more than 5 minutes, else it turns soggy.
8. Garnishing with onion and carrots at last is optional, but it adds more taste and looks colourful.
9. If serving for kids, top up with ghee which adds more flavour to this ghee idli sambar.