This Milk kesari recipe is an another delicious sweet from the South Indian cuisine with the richness of milk. It is similar to the regular Sooji sheera, which is cooked in water and there is no big recipe alteration also. In this Paal Kesari recipe rava / sooji is cooked in milk and, that’s the recipe. I usually pair it up with potato bajji and filter coffee as an evening snack. I didn’t use any food colour, as I like to have it in the milk colour itself. The white colour gives a divine feeling and do try it for this Navratri.
If interested check out my other kesari recipes
- Rava Kesari / Sooji kesari
- Aval Kesari / Poha Sheera
- Vermicelli Kesari / Semiya kesari
- Pineapple Kesari
Milk Kesari Recipe | Paal Kesari Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Rava / sooji / Semolina
- 2.5 Cups Milk
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 to 3 tbsp Ghee
- 4 Cardamom
- 10 Cashews
- 10 Raisins (optional)
- Few strands Saffron
- First measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Soak saffron strands in little warm milk.
- In a pan, heat little ghee, add cashews, fry till golden brown and keep by side. Then add little more ghee and add rava. Roast rava for 4 to 5 minutes in low flame, until it changes in colour slightly and nice aroma wafts. Don't burn it, else the whole Kesari taste bitter.
- Transfer the roasted rava to a plate. In the same pan, pour the milk.
- Once the milk starts to roll boil, simmer the flame and add rava. Add the rava very slowly and in a sprinkled way.
- Stir well and ensure there is no lumps. Mix well till all the water is absorbed. Cover it with a lid as it splutter too much and cook for 3 to 4 minutes in low flame. The mixture would have thickened and also ensure the rava is cooked, before adding sugar. Now add sugar in a sprinkled way, this method also avoids lump formation.
- Sugar melts and the rava mixture loosens. Then pour the saffron milk, stir again and cook covered for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour ghee at regular intervals, then add cashews and cardamom. Mix well in medium well, till the Kesari leaves the sides of the pan. Switch off the flame, when it is in slight flowing consistency as it thickens with time.
Enjoy this Paal Kesari with maida murukku as an evening snack.
Tips for Paal Kesari Recipe
1. Roast rava in ghee which adds nice aroma to the paal kesari recipe. But it can be dry roasted also.
2. Also roast rava in low flame and don’t burn the rava when roasting, else the kesari taste bitter.
3. Use good quality ghee and fresh milk for good taste.
4. Ensure the rava is cooked fully before adding sugar, otherwise it becomes sticky and hard.
5. Adjust sugar as per sweetness required for this milk kesari recipe.
6. If preferred food colour can be used. But I didn’t use as I like the natural milk colour.
7. For more richness, 2 tbsp of condensed milk can be added.
8. Add ghee generously, which gives melt in mouth texture and more flavour to the kesari.
9. It thickens with time, so switch of flame when it is in slight flowing consistency.
10. This kesari stays for 2 days under refrigeration. Add little warm milk and heat it before serving.