Masala Papad recipe is a very easy starter / appetizer with onion, tomato fillings and topped with chilli powder. The first time I tasted this masala papad was at Sukh Sagar restaurant in Bangalore before 4 years. As any one can easily guess the recipe, I tried it out immediately when I reached home. The recipe I have given here is just a suggestion, you can alter the veggies and spice powders as per your taste. This is a low calorie starter and you can have it guilt free as it is not deep fried in oil.
Masala Papad Recipe | Masala Papad
Preparation + Cook Time: 15 minutes | Makes : 5
- Papad – 5
- Onion – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 1/2 cup
- Green chilli – 1 (optional)
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chat Masala – 1/4 tsp
- Jeera powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – As required
1. Chop onion, coriander leaves finely. Also de-seed tomato, green chilli and chop it finely. In a large mixing bowl add onion.
2. Then add tomato, green chilli and coriander leaves. Add salt and mix well.
3. Squeeze lemon juice and mix again. Heat a tawa, add little oil and place the papad. Roast the papad in medium flame by pressing with a spatula else the papad curls. Flip it to the other side and roast till golden brown and crispy. Place the papad in a serving plate.
4. Spread the prepared onion – tomato mixture evenly on the roasted papad. Sprinkle chilli powder and chat masala on top. Serve it immediately.
Enjoy this masala papad as a starter.
1. Plain urad dal, jeera, or red chilli flavored papads can also be used.
2. Finely chopped cucumber, capsicum, carrot can also be used along with onions and tomatoes.
3. Always de-seed the tomatoes, else the papad becomes watery.
4. You can also deep fry the papads in oil or roast it directly in the flame also.
5. For variation amchur powder can be used for this masala papad recipe.
6. Chat masala has added black salt in it, so adjust the salt accordingly.
7. Always spread the veggie mixture just before serving else it becomes soggy.
Sharmila -The Happiefriends Potpourri Corner
Yummy.. Masala Papad is my fav.. Nice Presentation!!
Wow!! Such a colourful starter! Simply superb!!