Masala Chaas Recipe / Masala Buttermilk Recipe with step by step pictures and short youtube video. It is traditionally prepared by churning curd and cold water with a hand whisk or mathu. If I have any left over sour curd in refrigerator, I usually prepare spiced buttermilk / neer mor or buttermilk kuzhambu. But sometimes I go for this chaas when I prepare Veg Biryani or Hyderabadi Dum Biryani to relieve from the bloating feel after a heavy meal. This chaas cools the body during the summer and aids in digestion.
Masala Buttermilk Recipe | Masala Chaas Recipe
- 1 Cup Curd
- 2 Cup Chilled Water
- 10 Mint Leaves
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Small Piece Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1/4 tsp Chaat Masala (Optional)
- Small Piece Lemon (Optional)
- Salt As Required
- First measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
- To a mixer add coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilli and ginger.
- Add jeera powder, black salt and chaat masala.
- First grind it roughly. Now pour the curd.
- Pour chilled water, add required salt and blend it.
- If preferred squeeze lemon juice and blend it till frothy.Serve this Masala Chaas recipe chilled.
Tips for Masala Chaas Recipe
1. First and foremost, adjust green chilli as per spice level required for this masala chaas recipe.
2. Moreover, don’t skip ginger, as it helps in digestion and lends nice flavour.
3. Furthermore, don’t skip roasted jeera powder, it helps to relieve from the bloating feel.
4. Black salt lends an excellent taste to the masala buttermilk recipe.
5. Addition of chat masala adds an extra punch to the chaas. If preparing for vrat skip it.
6. If using sour curd, skip lemon juice. But addition of lemon juice is optional only.
7. For more flavour, this chaas can be tempered with curry leaves and hing.
8. If you are churning butter at home, the left over water after churning butter can be used to prepare this chaas.
9. Always serve this buttermilk chilled for a good taste.
10. Finally, if serving for children, filter the chaas and serve it.