Masala Bread Upma Recipe / How to make Bread Upma with step by step pics and a short YouTube video. A smart idea to make use of the leftover bread slices lying idle in your refrigerator or kitchen corner. Whenever I buy a bread packet, nearly half packet of bread will be untouched in my home, mostly I give it to my maid. But If I have a mood to cook or run out idli batter, surely I prepare this bread upma, which can be finished within flat 15 minutes also it turns as a quick breakfast or perfect teatime evening snack and if interested check my Bread Gulab Jamun Recipe. If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Check my other Upma Recipes like
- Idli Upma
- Vermicelli / Semiya Upma
- Broken Wheat Upma
- Rava / Sooji Upma
- Kodo Millet / Varagu Arisi Upma
Masala Bread Upma Recipe | How to make Bread Upma
- 3 Cups Bread Slices
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Small Piece Ginger
- 2 Tomato
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt As Required
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1 Pinch Hing
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Slice the bread into small pieces, you can even trim the edges. Then chop the onion, tomato, green chilli and ginger.
- Also, measure and keep all the other ingredients ready. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, jeera, cinnamon, hing and curry leaves.
- Then add green chilli, ginger, onion and saute till translucent. Now add tomato and saute till mushy, also ensure the raw smell leaves.
- Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder and required salt.
- Add the bread pieces and toss well, until the bread pieces and the spice powders coat well. Cook for 2 minutes in low flame and finally garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve this Masala Bread Upma Recipe with tomato sauce.
Tips for How to make Bread Upma
- If using fresh bread don't trim the edges, else it becomes soggy while cooking.
- I suggest using 1 or 2 days old bread, as it will be easy to cook.
- For healthy version, use wheat / multigrain bread. If using brown bread, toast it first and then use it, otherwise, it won't taste good.
- For more taste, toast the bread with little butter/ ghee first and then go the cooking process. But I skipped this step.
- If serving for kids, you can add little carrot, beans, green peas, paneer etc.
- For more taste, add cashews or crushed peanuts too for this Bread Upma Recipe.
- Also, cook the tomato nicely, till the raw smell leaves and ensure there is no water content, as it makes the bread soggy.
- Adjust green chilli and chilli powder as per spice level required.
- For more flavour and taste, 1/2 tsp of Pavbhaji Masala, Sambar Powder, biryani masala or kitchen King masala can be used.
- Even 1 tsp of lemon juice can be squeezed at the end for an extra zing.