This Maida Burfi Recipe is a Perfect sweet, with less ghee, fewer ingredients, that too not much work on the stove top, cool right !!! Yes, it can be finished within 20 minutes, that is what much needed, for these last few days of Diwali rush. The recipe seems to be so very simple that even newbies in the kitchen can try and this burfi has a melt in the mouth texture and I am sure everyone loves it. If interested check out my other burfi recipes like Milk powder burfi, Dodha burfi, Kaju burfi, Coconut burfi too. Also, I have shared this Maida Burfi Recipe with step by step pics and a short youtube video and if you like it, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Maida Burfi Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Maida / மைதா
- 1/4 Cup Ghee / நெய் Link for Homemade ghee
- 3/4 to 1 Cup Sugar / சக்கரை
- 1/2 Cup Water / தண்ணீர்
- 2 to 3 Drops Food Colour
- 2 to 3 Drops Rose Essence / Vanilla Essence
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
- Heat 1/4 cup of ghee in a pan and add 1/2 cup of maida. Roast it in very low flame (about 1 minute) till the raw smell of the maida leaves. It looks crumbled now and ensure not to burn it. Switch off the flame and keep aside.
- To the same pan, add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water. Mix in medium flame, till the sugar dissolves completely. Once bubbles appear, lower the flame completely.
- The mixture gets thicken soon and heat till you get a single string consistency. Be alert at this stage, don’t heat furthermore, else the sugar syrup turns hard. Switch off the flame without fail and add the food colour.
- Then add 2 to 3 drops of essence and roasted maida.
- Start mixing it briskly without any lumps. At first, it looks glossy and then it starts to leave the sides of the pan. Keep on mixing and it gets thick now. Don't mix furthermore, else it gets crumbled.
- Line a tray with butter paper or grease it with ghee directly. Then transfer the burfi mixture to the tray. Level it with a ladle or a flat-bottomed vessel. Set aside for 15 minutes to 20 minutes.
- Invert the tray and when the burfi is warm itself cut into pieces.
Check my youtube video too for this maida burfi recipe and please don't forget to subscribe to my channel.Enjoy this Maida Burfi Recipe with South Indian Mixture.
Tips for Maida Burfi Recipe
- Always roast the Maida / All purpose flour in low flame, else it gets burnt. Ensure the raw smell in the maida also leaves.
- 1 string consistency is very important for this maida burfi recipe. So always cook it in low flame otherwise there is a chance of missing it.
- If you add the maida before reaching the string consistency, the burfi mixture never thickens.
- Also, if you cook furthermore after reaching the string consistency, the burfi mixture turns hard and brittle.
- Addition of food colour is optional, you can prepare it without food colour too or choose colours as per liking.
- I used rose essence for flavour. It can be replaced with vanilla essence or 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.
- For more taste, 1 tbsp of broken cashews or tutti frutti can be added to the burfi mixture.
- It stays good for about 10 days when stored in an airtight jar.